[SOLVED] Recommendation for a mechanical keyboard

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Hey,

I've never used a mechanical keyboard before but I'd like to get my first one. I'm currently using a Logitech MX5000, and love some of the additional features, and I'm having trouble finding something comparable. The features I'd mostly like it to have are:
  • Media Controls
  • Wireless (Bluetooth preferably, or I'm keen to try Logitech's Lightning Wireless)
  • Rechargeable (For an otherwise perfect keyboard, I can deal with non-rechargeable)
  • Full size

The only one that I'm finding that meets the criteria is the Logitech G915 but that has some really mixed reviews for longevity and support. Personally, I've had the odd software issue here and there with logitech but never had to RMA anything or had anything not last very long. I'm also aware of the RGB limitations (some buttons have set colours), which I don't really care about. I do like the layout of the media controls, but I saw a review that said the volume wheel has a very noticable lag in Windows. Does anyone have experience with just how noticable the lag is? I also don't generally use low profile keyboards either, but it's not out of the question, since it doesn't have the completely flat key layout, like a laptop does.

There's also the G613 which looks a bit cheaper and more plastic-y...which isn't a deal breaker, but I do appreciate a premium look (he says, typing on his MX5000). Also, it's not rechargeable. I don't know how often I'd use the macro keys but the G915 lets you set them on the fly, whereas the G613 forces you to do it in software; again not a deal breaker, but convenience is preferred.

It will be used for typing more than gaming, but I do game, generally single player/non-competitive. Finally, I'm in Australia so I have fewer options. Basically, if I can't find it on http://www.staticice.com.au/ , then it'll likely be an international purchase, which is not ideal.

Any recommendations? Or anyone had long term experience with the above 2 that would recommend or steer me away from them?

Solution
So I pulled the trigger on the G915 linear today. I ran a typing speed test and it was terrible, with a bunch of typing errors. Funnily enough, it may have just been slightly off center from where I need it, as I shifted the keyboard slightly more to the left (about 1.5 cm left; not sure what that is in imperial measurements, for the US folks), and I'm typing MUCH more accurately and quicker. I have been using it for about 2 hours now, which may have also contributed. For reference, I was able to do 49 wpm on my old MX 5000 keyboard, 57 wpm on my work laptop, 47 wpm on the g915 out of the box (actually more wpm than the MX 5000, but with more errors), and now 64 wpm after the shift. These numbers are all adjusted, to factor in typing...
Your biggest issue is the wireless part. With media keys on a wireless keyboard that is a very very short list. Corsiar K63 Wireless is an option, has media controls if you don't need the number pad. If you want more to pick from, remove wireless from your requirements and you have a lot more options. If you want cake that is fine, even a large cake, large chocolate cake is also common. If you want a large chocolate cake from Italy made by a guy with one leg named Guido with a pet hamster, you limit yourself a bit ;)

Yeah, I think I want wireless more than media controls, but for both, it's still looking like the 2 Logitech keyboards are my only options.

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Wir...refix=wireless+mechan,electronics,149&sr=1-21

I have a Logitech with Romer G linear, nice feeling keyboard, but I don't totally like the keycaps they use and there is not much if any 3rd party keycaps. They use lesser quality plastic so it ends up getting smoothed and shiny over a fairly short time and picks up oils much easier. Have not had it very long, but from a build and feel side it does feel pretty nice. There are plenty of interesting options in wireless but quite a few of them are the smaller ones like 60,65 and 75% keyboards. I own a few and am pretty happy with them, you just need to be aware of the fact that some keys are not there and need to be accessed through a function button.

The big bonus with going with a more boutique keyboard is that the switch and keycap options get huge, especially if you get a keyboard with hotswap PCB which means you can spend $30-50 on a key switch set and basically get a whole new keyboard to try.

I own one of these, like it quite a bit but had to lube and put a bit of foam on the spacebar stabilizer since it had a bit of a rattel https://www.amazon.com/SK64-Black-W...oard&qid=1594431320&s=electronics&sr=1-2&th=1

It's hotwap with other Gateron Optical switches so there are like 5 or 6 switches you can buy for it, and uses standard MX stems so just about any keycap set will fit.

This is a pretty neat layout keyboard, all the keys but more compact https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WS7LG3...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Thanks. The one that ticked most of the boxes was the redragon K580. If it was wireless, it would have been perfect.

I think the logitech's are still in the lead currently.

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
So I pulled the trigger on the G915 linear today. I ran a typing speed test and it was terrible, with a bunch of typing errors. Funnily enough, it may have just been slightly off center from where I need it, as I shifted the keyboard slightly more to the left (about 1.5 cm left; not sure what that is in imperial measurements, for the US folks), and I'm typing MUCH more accurately and quicker. I have been using it for about 2 hours now, which may have also contributed. For reference, I was able to do 49 wpm on my old MX 5000 keyboard, 57 wpm on my work laptop, 47 wpm on the g915 out of the box (actually more wpm than the MX 5000, but with more errors), and now 64 wpm after the shift. These numbers are all adjusted, to factor in typing errors.

I do think that using a single solid colour on the keyboard backlight, instead of shifting colours, also helped as I think the colour movement was distracting or disorienting my positioning. I use the audio visualizer lighting profile, so I do still have backlight movement, but it's not as chaotic and hasn't caused any issues.

I definitely love the feel of the linear, and I didn't get any bad or wobbly keys. I also appreciate that it's quieter than my MX 5000. All the reviews were negative in regards to the rubber buttons along the top, but they are almost never used and I don't think they feel bad at all. Looks like they were put in as a stylistic choice to separate them from the "normal" keyboard keys, and I don't mind them at all. I also read that there was a noticeable delay between scrolling the volume bar on the keyboard, and having it take effect in windows, but I think that was fixed during a firmware update at some point as mine is super responsive; moreso than the MX 5000 that I used for 7-ish years. In fact, I think every issue I saw on forums, were all raised closer to the initial release of this KB, and they've all been fixed by firmware updates since then. The G Hub software isn't as polished as it should be, especially for a device at this price point, but it's functional.

The one thing I didn't like is that I can only assign the G-Shift key to the G1-G5 buttons. I would prefer if I could set this to left ctrl or left shift instead. If I had a G series mouse, I could assign it there, which is fine, but I don't, which means it's awkward to use G-Shift. Otherwise, I'm really happy with this purchase.

Solution