[SOLVED] Recommendation for a portable external HDD?

rbryant73

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
I've been using WD My Passports for over a decade now, but for my next drive I'd like to avoid USB micro type b if possible. That connector just feels super bendable and breakable to me, and I don't think I'm alone because all the pictures and videos on NewEgg/Amazon use angles seemingly designed to hide the port.

Anyone have a portable external HDD they particularly like, with a nice simple USB C port? I'm looking for 4-6TB and open to any brand that's quality. Thanks.

Solution
I've been using WD My Passports for over a decade now, but for my next drive I'd like to avoid USB micro type b if possible. That connector just feels super bendable and breakable to me, and I don't think I'm alone because all the pictures and videos on NewEgg/Amazon use angles seemingly designed to hide the port.

Anyone have a portable external HDD they particularly like, with a nice simple USB C port? I'm looking for 4-6TB and open to any brand that's quality. Thanks.

There are HDD enclosure with USB C port, you can buy the enclosure and the HDD separately then put them together.

There are HDD enclosure with USB C port, you can buy the enclosure and the HDD separately then put them together.

Solution
Orico USB-C enclosure is a good one for reference.

orico-type-c-hard-drive-enclosure-25-inch-usb-30-s.jpg

rbryant73

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2015
Ah I see. Never gone this route before.

So...to ask a atupid question, I would buy an internal 2.5-inch drive, like a WD Black or Blue, throw that in an enclosure, and call it portable?

Ah I see. Never gone this route before.

So...to ask a atupid question, I would buy an internal 2.5-inch drive, like a WD Black or Blue, throw that in an enclosure, and call it portable?

Sure, it's the same thing be it pre-built or custom built.

The only difference is that if you buy it pre-built, it usually comes with some software like data encryption, data recovery etc. But few people found it useful as those software are widely available.