[SOLVED] Recommendation for backup solution ?

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
Hi,
I'd like to implement a NAS and related software to have a sort of semi-automatic backup with my USB hard drives:
Once a day I'd have a full backup on the NAS itself, and then, each time I connect a USB device, it should mirror its contents into it. Do you think it's possible?

I'm speaking of around 4TB of data.

Solution
That's interesting, but i'd like to perform the copy from NAS to the external HDD, simply by inserting the USB plug
Being Linux based, I'm quite sure a script could be created to automagically do that.

But...
Given multiple different UBS drives, and hopefully multiple different locations within the NAS, the complexity comes in as to where each goes, etc.
In either direction.

And then comes in the time when I don't want it to autocopy, etc, etc.

Also, on my NAS, the front USB port and that button are part of the same module.
y8VPngU.png

Its not like you have to hunt around for it.

Automation is fine, but sometimes it gets carried too far.
The network is going to be the last thing you need to consider on a project like this.

So if we assume you found a app you like that can do this, it all depend on how much money you want to spend for what feature. Single large files are going to copy much faster than many small ones.

I would first see what the maximum speed you can accomplish without the network involved.

You have to look at both the source and destination devices and see how fast they can actually transfer data. You need to get the specs of the devices you are considering. Many times the media such as disk drivers can not even transfer data at the full 1gbit network speeds.

It all depends on how much money you intend to spend and how fast you need this to run. The bottleneck tends to not be the network. Even if you where to buy 10gbit ports the data media and the way the files are structured tend to be the bottlenecks.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I'd like to implement a NAS and related software to have a sort of semi-automatic backup with my USB hard drives:
Once a day I'd have a full backup on the NAS itself, and then, each time I connect a USB device, it should mirror its contents into it. Do you think it's possible?

I'm speaking of around 4TB of data.
Some of the QNAP and Synology NASs have a front USB port for exactly that function. It may involve a button press, but its pretty automatic.

For my QNAP TS-453A:
"The front-panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 port of the TS-453A features a one-touch-copy function for you to instantly back up data from external drives to the TS-453A with just one click "

For the rest of your backup routine, read here:

gtsolid

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2016
"The front-panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 port of the TS-453A features a one-touch-copy function for you to instantly back up data from external drives to the TS-453A with just one click "
That's interesting, but i'd like to perform the copy from NAS to the external HDD, simply by inserting the USB plug

Ralston18

Titan
Then you will need some code or script running in the background to detect when the applicable HDD is plugged into the NAS.

And possibly a specific USB port.

Likely possible but it could require a bit messy, script may needing, constant maintenance, updating etc.. Then there may be times when you want to "plug in" but not have a backup launched.

Go simple, go "one-click".

However, that all said there appear to be some scripts available. For example:

https://shebangthedolphins.net/prog_powershell_usb_copy.html

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...at-runs-a-command-line-when-a-usb-is-inserted

Note: I have not tested that script and it is only posted as an example. There are other similar links to be found.

Such scripts may or may not work on your system depending on details. Test/try at you own risk.

I am a Powershell fan/supporter etc. but when it comes to backups I prefer to do just let Windows do some automatic backing up.

Then I do additional manual backups as necessary and warranted.

Moving more towards the process used by @USAFRet......

Ralston18

Titan
Requirement being that you have a HDD (or HDD's) with up to 4 TB of data.

When any given HDD is plugged into one of the NAS USB ports then the NAS then launches software to copy (mirror) the HDD to the NAS drive - correct? Or vice versa?

Either way HDD data > NAS or NAS data > HDD you still need the logic to detect that the HDD has been connected and IF connected THEN Copy/Mirror between source and target. Whatever direction that may be.

All the more so if you are backing up to and from specific locations. For example HDD2 copied to/over where HDD1's backup is located. You need to prevent that from happening.

USAFRet

Titan
Being Linux based, I'm quite sure a script could be created to automagically do that.

But...
Given multiple different UBS drives, and hopefully multiple different locations within the NAS, the complexity comes in as to where each goes, etc.
In either direction.

And then comes in the time when I don't want it to autocopy, etc, etc.

Also, on my NAS, the front USB port and that button are part of the same module.
y8VPngU.png

Its not like you have to hunt around for it.

Automation is fine, but sometimes it gets carried too far.

Solution