Recommendation for cable modem and router

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Time Warner just their modem rental to $8 a month so I think it is finally time to buy my own.

Time Warner lists approved ones at: http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/enjoy/better-twc/internet/internet-modems.html

Any recommendations on which of these is any good? Also do any cross over with Comcast (in case the merger changes things)?

Besides the modem I will need a new router. Most of my equipment is hard wired but I have the following wifi devices: Wii, Wii U, Laptop (AC), iPad 3, Cell phones (one AC), iPod, 3DS. The laptop and S5 are AC devices. The others are a mix of g and n.

I was looking at the Asus RT-AC68 or Asus RT-87. Any suggestions of over the other or a different alternative?

Thanks

Solution
I went with the SB6183 for the cable modem and pulled out my old D-Link DIR-655 router. The modem will allow me to upgrade my speed later if I want to and I had enough BestBuy rewards to cover all but $5 of it. The router may be old and only N but all of my wireless stuff is able to get the full download speed I pay for

kanewolf

Titan
Most of the cable modems work with most providers. You didn't list your internet speed so can't be sure but a Motorola cable modem is always a safe bet -- something like the SB6141.

Will the extra cost of an AC router benefit you? Again, that depends on the WAN speed. If you have 50Mbit or less then I wouldn't spend the extra $$$. Get an RT-N66U ...

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012

I have 30 Mbps service. My wired LAN is gigabit so I believe I would benefit from the speed and distance of AC

Crash55

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I went with the SB6183 for the cable modem and pulled out my old D-Link DIR-655 router. The modem will allow me to upgrade my speed later if I want to and I had enough BestBuy rewards to cover all but $5 of it. The router may be old and only N but all of my wireless stuff is able to get the full download speed I pay for

Solution