Question Recommendation for Linux distribution for 2GB DDR3 RAM.

allibilgin

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hello,

If I posted this in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm looking for a Linux distribution recommendation for 2 GB DDR3 RAM. Which one would you suggest?

You need a light desktop environoment (DE).

You will be able to run a distro featuring the Xfce or mate DE. Therefore Linux Mint should do.

In my opinion Bunsenlabs Linux is probably the least memory demanding distro while still have a decent user interface.

pro tip: You can test many Linux iso images on same computer and there is a nice tool tha allow you to have many iso images in one single usb stick - Ventoy.
disclaimer: On very old hardware I've seen there does exist computers that just refuse to boot using Ventoy, but most will do.

Reactions: Satan-IR

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Not suer if Puppy linux is still being maintained. That one is a light one too. Not as light as Tiny Core I think.

Puppy basically used to fit in 1GB of RAM (600MB for the 64bit version). You could load from a flash USB and remove it as it can live in the RAM, of course untill you turn the PC off if you remove the flash.

Not suer if Puppy linux is still being maintained.
According to their web site <link> - it states:

Puppy Linux is a collection of multiple Linux distributions, built on the same shared principles, built using the same set of tools, built on top of a unique set of puppy specific applications and configurations and generally speaking provide consistent behaviours and features, no matter which flavours you choose.
So - probably not due to expire anytime soon.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
According to their web site <link> - it states:

So - probably not due to expire anytime soon.
Yes, thanks @Grobe. I actually looked today but forgot to mention it in this thread!

I used this distro a few times when wanted to run from RAM and didn't want anything to be written to the HDD. In order to see if I could recover some folders accidentally deleted from friends' hard disks.

It's light and usable as a light linux with a graphical dsektop UI and some basic useful apps. It offered a save sesssion on shut down feature since user could run it from RAM so there's persistence too.

TRENDING THREADS