Build Advice Recommendation on building new gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sorry for the late reply was at the gym, see honestly idk if its im worried about switching to something that ive never used or if its more or less everything i hear about amd as software an compatibility tend to have issues. Which is why im leaning toward more intel as im just comfortable with it ngl it really is tempting i gotta look more into amd cpus before the drop to see what im doing as ill end up buying everything if i can snag a 3080 fe on release.

Like with every new product launch from any company, there was some issues witht he BIOS and chipset drivers for the Ryzen 3xxx, which were mostly fixed by the end of the first month (AMD responded really fast compared to other industry giants, and they kept comin with more and more updates that only made things even better).
For instance I never had any issues making my Ryzen 5 3600 reach the advertised 4.2GHz MAX boost (other people did had this issues), not even when I was using the really basic wraith stealth cooler, not even the first time I finished installing windows and fired up CR 20 without installing the drivers that I was donwloading from AMD web page.

Its been (over a year and (knock on wood) I never experienced any strange, nor compatibility issues with any software because Im using an AMD cpu. Everything works well and smooth like butter.

Not sool long ago AMD launched the new RX 5xxx series GPUs. There were people that had some issues with drivers (crashes, black screens, etc.), and other people that never experienced any issues at all.
We have to keep in mind this was the first RDNA card ever, issues were expected to happend.
I do admit that nvidia drivers are usually a bit better. but they also have problems every now and then.

I think is fine if you wana stay with intel, I don't see a problem with that, I been using intel for years.

When I build this last PC I had to make a choice, spend my money to buy a Core i5 9400 and a RTX 3060 or spend the same money and get a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 3070, it was simple after watching and reading lots and lots of reviews I picked the Ryzen option. And Im glad I did, I would have been a little worry by having a 6 core cpu right now.

I used a Intel 386, 486DX, Cyrix 6X86MX, AMD K6-2, Duron, Athlon XP, Athlon 64 X2, a Phenom II 810, after that it was all Intel. So Im not a stranger to AMD.

One work colleague finally retired to some "less stressing tasks" his Phenom II X4 945, and his rocking a Ryzen 5 2600, working with many VMs and complex network stuff that I don't understand :) and his very happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnFound

UnFound

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2013
Like with every new product launch from any company, there was some issues witht he BIOS and chipset drivers for the Ryzen 3xxx, which were mostly fixed by the end of the first month (AMD responded really fast compared to other industry giants, and they kept comin with more and more updates that only made things even better).
For instance I never had any issues making my Ryzen 5 3600 reach the advertised 4.2GHz MAX boost (other people did had this issues), not even when I was using the really basic wraith stealth cooler, not even the first time I finished installing windows and fired up CR 20 without installing the drivers that I was donwloading from AMD web page.

Its been (over a year and (knock on wood) I never experienced any strange, nor compatibility issues with any software because Im using an AMD cpu. Everything works well and smooth like butter.

Not sool long ago AMD launched the new RX 5xxx series GPUs. There were people that had some issues with drivers (crashes, black screens, etc.), and other people that never experienced any issues at all.
We have to keep in mind this was the first RDNA card ever, issues were expected to happend.
I do admit that nvidia drivers are usually a bit better. but they also have problems every now and then.

I think is fine if you wana stay with intel, I don't see a problem with that, I been using intel for years.

When I build this last PC I had to make a choice, spend my money to buy a Core i5 9400 and a RTX 3060 or spend the same money and get a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RTX 3070, it was simple after watching and reading lots and lots of reviews I picked the Ryzen option. And Im glad I did, I would have been a little worry by having a 6 core cpu right now.

I used a Intel 386, 486DX, Cyrix 6X86MX, AMD K6-2, Duron, Athlon XP, Athlon 64 X2, a Phenom II 810, after that it was all Intel. So Im not a stranger to AMD.

One work colleague finally retired to some "less stressing tasks" his Phenom II X4 945, and his rocking a Ryzen 5 2600, working with many VMs and complex network stuff that I don't understand :)
See i feel like when it comes to terms of having issues on software/hardware it's one of those things that can happen to anyone regardless if your intel/amd. At that point it comes down to preference of what you want to get as of course like my self i do like Intel as ive never had problems so i do worry about if i switch an problems do happen it would be just my luck lol. But thank you for breaking everything its interesting how the series went for them i definitely gotta start doing more research in regards to AMD as ive never properly gave them a good look.

Reactions: RodroX

Arabinda0007

Commendable
Aug 13, 2020
Ryzen for people with more sense than money.
Intel for people with more money than sense.

At Higher Resolutions Intel / AMD both balance out.

Latest posts