Recommendation, Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I just purchased a ZT Systems desktop with an AMD Pentium II x4 955 (3.2 ghz) processor. The system has 8g ddr3 and a 1.5t 7200 rpm drive and AMD 760G/SB710 chipset. Unfortunately the system only has onboard video (ATI Radeon HD 3000) and a 300W power supply. I have 8 channel audio capability. I really don't want to change the power supply because of warranty concerns. Is there a graphics card you can suggest that would work with the limited power and which will give me reliable 1080P w/sound to my home TV? I have an available PCIe x16 slot available (as well as one PCIe x1). I have no problem adding a fan if necessary if that would help. I'm not a gamer but I'd like a display that would match the attributes of what I think is a pretty nice system. I have two HD monitors, also, w/ dvi input. I'd like to have HDMI, DVI and Dsub connectors. Please keep in mind that in the near future I plan to add a TV tuner card and use the computer as a media center. I also need some suggestions on the tuner card. I would like to use the computer as a DVR. I don't want to spend any more than necessary on these cards but I also don't want to skimp and be sorry later. Thanx for your suggestions. :pt1cable:

Solution

That would also be my concern. In a 2D mode it is probably fine, but anything that cranks this up to 3D will cause alot of heat. If you have good case airflow it will be fine.

The ATI 5450 is the replacement for this category of cards and is due out this Month I believe. If you look on Dell or HP's site it is already an option for few builds. I just read about this last night. So this is coming to retail VERY VERY soon. I'd hate to see you get an old model card, ie 4000 series.
Why? What real difference do you think it will make if he isn't a gamer? The real question is if he needs a card at all, not if he should wait for the new series. As for being passively cooled that card uses very little power and produces very little heat. For a non-gaming card no fan is a plus not something to avoid. Unless he was going to get a card that vents outside of the case(very unlikely) it will not make the computer hotter overall even if it produced enough heat to matter.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Thank you guys. I'm still going to wait until I actually get my hands on the computer and see what quality video I get out of it before I make any decisions. Now that I find out I can keep onboard video active while also using a card I'm looking forward to utilizing a third monitor (probably for HD TV).

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I bought an MSI R4550-MD1GH Radeon HD 4550 1GB from NewEgg for $19.99 after rebate. I'll be installing it later in the week. At that price I can Craig's list it and get my money back if it doesn't work out. Anything I should be aware of or careful with during the install? thanx

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I don't know if notices are sent once a best answer is selected but I finally installed my MSI Radeon 4550 card and I was told my MSI tech support that I actually can use onboard video and this card simultaneously. I went to the BIOS and to the graphics card but was only given the option of a video card in PCI, PCIE or onboard. Is there a way to get around that or was I in the wrong location. Thanx