Question Recommendation request for a wireless mechanical keyboard

Jul 27, 2021
I'm looking for a good mechanical wireless keyboard. I'm learning a little about what I like and what I don't. My budget would be up to $300, but I hope not that much. I tried the Razer Black Widow with green keys and found the keys too wobbly, plus I had a fair amount of issues with the wireless connection and with the lights on it sucks down the battery and without the lights you can't see the keys at all.

I want a full size keyboard with media controls (preferably a volume dial, bring back dials!), solid wireless connections and keys with a solid feel, I don't mind pressing hard. I don't care about noise, loud or quiet is fine with me. I grew up on DEC VT terminals, I know a good keyboard when I feel one! Decent battery performance, but doesn't have to last forever. I don't care if it's lit or not (but if not lit, the letters should be legible).

I'm looking now at the Logitech MX Mechanical Wireless Illuminated Performance Keyboard,
but first off: it has a choice of tactile responsive keys or linear switches. I have no idea how these compare; and secondly, it has a surprising number of poor reviews. Sure, I expect some, but when it get's over 7% negative reviews, with details comments, I have to wonder. Generally, I like Logitech.

I'm open to any brand and any suggestions. Yes, I understand that keyboards are highly subjective, but I've gotta start some place!

Thank you very much.

I'm looking for a good mechanical wireless keyboard. I'm learning a little about what I like and what I don't. My budget would be up to $300, but I hope not that much. I tried the Razer Black Widow with green keys and found the keys too wobbly, plus I had a fair amount of issues with the wireless connection and with the lights on it sucks down the battery and without the lights you can't see the keys at all.

I want a full size keyboard with media controls (preferably a volume dial, bring back dials!), solid wireless connections and keys with a solid feel, I don't mind pressing hard. I don't care about noise, loud or quiet is fine with me. I grew up on DEC VT terminals, I know a good keyboard when I feel one! Decent battery performance, but doesn't have to last forever. I don't care if it's lit or not (but if not lit, the letters should be legible).

I'm looking now at the Logitech MX Mechanical Wireless Illuminated Performance Keyboard,
but first off: it has a choice of tactile responsive keys or linear switches. I have no idea how these compare; and secondly, it has a surprising number of poor reviews. Sure, I expect some, but when it get's over 7% negative reviews, with details comments, I have to wonder. Generally, I like Logitech.

I'm open to any brand and any suggestions. Yes, I understand that keyboards are highly subjective, but I've gotta start some place!

Thank you very much.
Obviously the knob is the biggest problem. Beyond that the green keys you're currently using are specified by Razer as Tactile and Clicky. Logitech only makes one keyboard offering what you want and its the one you're already looking at. As for other companies, the key switches closest to what Razer provides would be the Cherry Blue switches so any other wireless keyboards you consider should have them if you want something closest to what you're currently using. If you want something that requires more force in the keypress then Cherry Green or White might work for you. But knob, mechanical and wireless is a difficult if not impossible combination.

Jul 27, 2021
Thank you. To be clear I do NOT like the green Razer keys. They are wobbly and did not give me a nice solid click. Also, I know I may be asking too much for that knob, it’s a preference, not a requirement. Thank for the info on the cherry green and white switches, do you have a recommendation of a company that uses these switches? Again, thank you for the quick answer.

Thank you. To be clear I do NOT like the green Razer keys. They are wobbly and did not give me a nice solid click. Also, I know I may be asking too much for that knob, it’s a preference, not a requirement. Thank for the info on the cherry green and white switches, do you have a recommendation of a company that uses these switches? Again, thank you for the quick answer.
I use this site for keyboard shopping; its how I selected my current ducky one with cherry brown although I may switch to blue or green or white next time

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=114

Most of these keyboards are wired so I don't know if you'll find anything you like with wireless. This might have potential but it only comes with blue switches:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k10-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39426668200025

Since I spent decades using the IBM Model M keyboards I also like a good click but not too loud. I still have a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard with ps2 connector for old time's sake.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Thank you, that’s like a crazy amount of keyboards! I’ll spend some time perusing the site and let you know what I find, as well as that keychron (which worries me because it’s so cheap). Thanks again! More later.

BTW, do you have an opinion about Das Keyboards? thanks.
Das Keyboards are the same cherry switches everyone else uses plus a deluxe case and a knob. So in terms of key function they're not providing anything more than anybody else. You either want the knob or you don't; the ducky one keyboard I use has sound control keys on the upper right and I press either the max key or the mute key so I don't need any in between settings. The ones with aluminum cases are an annoyance for those of us that live in dry climates which result in us having a small static charge from moving around and then it discharges when we touch the keyboard case.

Jul 27, 2021
I think you can't go wrong with Keychron, though I use their low profile keyboard.

Three of them actually.

Thank you! I look forward to trying it out. You've been super helpful. (BTW I use the j5create JUC400 cable between my PC and Mac so I can share one keyboard and mouse, when it works it's like magic (95% of the time), when it doesn't it makes you want to scream. But of course you're probably talking about 3 separate machines.) Thanks again!

Jul 27, 2021
I use this site for keyboard shopping; its how I selected my current ducky one with cherry brown although I may switch to blue or green or white next time

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=114

Most of these keyboards are wired so I don't know if you'll find anything you like with wireless. This might have potential but it only comes with blue switches:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k10-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=39426668200025

Since I spent decades using the IBM Model M keyboards I also like a good click but not too loud. I still have a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard with ps2 connector for old time's sake.

Thank you for the help, I'm typing on a the Keychron now and so far, so good. I especially liked that it connected to my PC immediately with no futzing around. Thank you again!

Reactions: dwd999