Question Recommendations for a 2nd Monitor ?

cherryrowl

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Hey all,

Recently got a new monitor Alienware - AW3423DWF 34" which I'm loving so far however the color difference between it and my 2nd monitor is extremely distracting especially since they sit right next to each other. I'd love to get some recommendations that I can look for to replace the 2nd monitor with that's passable. I really only use the 2nd screen for media, emails and note taking so it doesn't need to be anything fancy just 27" to match the height of my main display.

Main Monitor: Alienware - AW3423DWF 34"
Current 2nd Monitor: Acer SB272U Ebiip 27"

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

Recently got a new monitor Alienware - AW3423DWF 34" which I'm loving so far however the color difference between it and my 2nd monitor is extremely distracting especially since they sit right next to each other. I'd love to get some recommendations that I can look for to replace the 2nd monitor with that's passable. I really only use the 2nd screen for media, emails and note taking so it doesn't need to be anything fancy just 27" to match the height of my main display.

Main Monitor: Alienware - AW3423DWF 34"
Current 2nd Monitor: Acer SB272U Ebiip 27"

Thanks in advance!
Dell's website says that VA panels are for "Users that want deep blacks and high contrast ratios for a superior viewing experience." So for that they recommend any one of these that matches the size you want:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/search/va panel monitors?r=45647&p=1&ac=facetselect&t=Product

Reactions: cherryrowl

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Probably spent close to two hours yesterday trying to get it to match but didn't get anywhere close to something I would personally consider passable.
Both of mine are a bit different. Looked odd when I first bought the 2nd monitor.
I just used them and now I never notice the difference but they are a difference in both size and color.

It's going to be a bit hard unless you buy another monitor like you have for both to match. I would suggest to just give it some time and see if it still bothers you.

Of course everybody is different and it's your money so your decision.

View: https://imgur.com/a/JAt0vWx

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The Acer is a basic IPS panel with 99% sRGB colour gamut. The Dell/Alienware is an OLED wide gamut panel.
To get something similar would require close matching of:
  • Colour gamut range
  • Base colour temperature
  • Brightness
  • White-to-black contrast ratio
  • RGB profile similarity
The easiest thing to do is get another OLED monitor from Alienware. Alternately buy (or borrow) a screen calibrator like a Datacolor Spyder or Calibrite and perform hardware calibration on both existing screens. Won't get an exact match, but will eliminate any major differences. You can also fiddle with the built-in Windows screen calibration software.