Recommendations for a database server hardware.

ramishjawad321

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
Hi, my company is looking to build a database server (general for now) whose intended users will be around 2000-3000. We are looking for recommendations for the best and cost effective hardware, particularly: motherboard, CPU, memory, storage, graphics and display. And we will require to run multiple CPUs on it. Thanks

Solution
For enterprise critical, I don't recommend build-it. I recommend buy-it. Let Dell, HP, IBM, etc do the work of finding stable compatible parts. Let them figure out redundant power supplies.

As for what you want in a database server -- RAM. Lots of RAM. 128GB, 256GB whatever you can afford. The more RAM the better, because that means more of your database is in memory and not on disk. That is what improves database performance.

kanewolf

Titan
For enterprise critical, I don't recommend build-it. I recommend buy-it. Let Dell, HP, IBM, etc do the work of finding stable compatible parts. Let them figure out redundant power supplies.

As for what you want in a database server -- RAM. Lots of RAM. 128GB, 256GB whatever you can afford. The more RAM the better, because that means more of your database is in memory and not on disk. That is what improves database performance.

Solution