[SOLVED] Recommendations for a New Gaming Monitor ?

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Long story short, I woke up this morning to my MSI MAG271CQR giving me a bunch of green pixels intermixed with everything and the monitor would power-cycle every time I would use my scroll-wheel. Outside of RMA...replacement required.

I'm simply looking for informed user recommendations on what to purchase for a new monitor.

Some information:

-R7 3700X/RTX 3080/32GB/SSD

-I'm looking to move down (or up?) from the 1800R of my current monitor to 1000R. (EDIT: 1000R isn't a strict requirement)

-Screen size 27"-32" (34" if price/specs are right)

-Something with both upstream and downstream USB. PC is across the room, so having upstream at my monitor would be a huge boon. (Not 100% required, just would be nice)

-Pricing cap of around $400USD (some wiggle room)

-Must have VESA mounting...surprisingly some don't still in 2022...

I'm doing a lot of research, but I figured I'd send some feelers out here and see what comes back in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
Long story short, I woke up this morning to my MSI MAG271CQR giving me a bunch of green pixels intermixed with everything and the monitor would power-cycle every time I would use my scroll-wheel. Outside of RMA...replacement required.

I'm simply looking for informed user recommendations on what to purchase for a new monitor.

Some information:

-R7 3700X/RTX 3080/32GB/SSD

-I'm looking to move down (or up?) from the 1800R of my current monitor to 1000R. (EDIT: 1000R isn't a strict requirement)

-Screen size 27"-32" (34" if price/specs are right)

-Something with both upstream and downstream USB. PC is across the room, so having upstream at my monitor would be a huge boon. (Not 100% required, just would be nice)

-Pricing cap of around $400USD (some wiggle room)

-Must have VESA mounting...surprisingly some don't still in 2022...

I'm doing a lot of research, but I figured I'd send some feelers out here and see what comes back in the meantime. Thanks in advance for any input.
You say 1000R, do you specifically want a curve? Do you have a preference for VA over IPS?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm specifically looking for a curved monitor. My MSI was an 1800R, but I'd like to get something closer to 1000R. Seems it's either 1000 or 1500.

I may be mistaken, but curved monitors don't have IPS panels, do they?
Some of them do, particularly larger ones but I haven't found it to be that common. It's more common with VA as it helps compensate for the weaker horizontal viewing angles.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Some of them do, particularly larger ones but I haven't found it to be that common. It's more common with VA as it helps compensate for the weaker horizontal viewing angles.

The 34" range seems to be what I'm honing in on, but I wish I could get my hands on a display monitor because I've used a 27" for so many years. The closest store that has any real selection is a Microcenter about 150mi away. lol

my MSI MAG271CQR giving me a bunch of green pixels intermixed with everything and the monitor would power-cycle every time I would use my scroll-wheel.
Why are you convinced this is a monitor issue?
I'd suspect issue with your graphics card instead.

Can you show a photo of those green pixel artifacts?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Why are you convinced this is a monitor issue?
I'd suspect issue with your graphics card instead.

Can you show a photo of those green pixel artifacts?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

I've been running two tvs off my card for the past week or so without issues. Though I did just notice that when I had my screen extended between this monitor and one of my tvs just now, the dots went away. But if I confine my screen to the monitor alone, the dots reappear.

Monitor

The 34" range seems to be what I'm honing in on, but I wish I could get my hands on a display monitor because I've used a 27" for so many years. The closest store that has any real selection is a Microcenter about 150mi away. lol
That's a long old way for a monitor. I've used 27" for the past 10 years, I was tempted to go with a 32" monitor but had trouble getting hold of one so stuck with 27". By 34" do you mean a 34" ultra wide?

Reactions: Phosphonothioic

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Try a different video cable.
Try different resolutions/ refresh rates.

Well, you just saved me a couple hundred dollars. I had already tried three different cables, but they were all ones that reached across the room and were semi-recently bought. When I used a standard HDMI as well as a DP cable, everything cleared up. So, instead of a new monitor, I need to fight Amazon to get a refund and purchase a different brand of cable.

Though the cables did work at 60Hz...just not 144Hz.

Seriously, thanks for giving me the embarrassingly simple solution...just figured after three cables, the monitor was toast.

Cheers.