[SOLVED] Recommendations for upgrade from Corsair HXi please ?

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Hi And thanks for reading.

I have been using a corsair rm650x for a while, then i upgraded to a corsair hx1000i. Immediatly upon boot up i noticed the desktop looked cleaner and clearer, the audio sounded more detailed less distortion, the hx seems superior to the rmx, the pc is working better.

So now i want to upgrade again and am thinking of the corasair ax series which appears to be corsairs best. Am torn between the ax or any high-end seagate offering.
What would you do. Do you think the hx1000i i already have is a pretty good power supply in its own right, and me chasing after psu with better specs is a waste of time as there may be little improvement, or do you think the opposite.

Also, which would you say are the best seagate Seasonic power supplies ?
For the pc i have an H170I-PRO motherboard mini atx motherboard, 16gb generic ddr4 ram and a soundblaster ae-9 soundcard. Power consumption is about 300 watts.

Solution
Your audio shouldn't have any effect as it dependant on motherboard itself and case connectors if you use front jacks. Motherboard is the first thing to get power from PSU. Motherboard will hardly use over 100 watts. Average motherboards use around 60 watt. I think that is placebo.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What graphics card?

Truly, the rmx should have been fine but if you have power hungry gpu and and overclocked cpu i guess it could be overwhelming for it. Those symptoms seem odd, at least for the audio part. Graphically could make sense if gpu was underpowered albeit not at desktop idle speeds.

Hxi quality is quite beyond rmx so you'd be wasting your money going for Ax, it is really decent.

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Thanks.
Yes you are right it is strange, perhaps the rmx was faulty.
Do agree the hxi is a serious step up from the rmx.
The graphics card i am using is just the onboard solution, the cpu is not overclocked, i don't think the amount of power the two psu's could supply was deficient.

Sorry, i meant seasonic, not seagate power supply <has been corrected by moderator>

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Immediatly upon boot up i noticed the desktop looked cleaner and clearer, the audio sounded more detailed less distortion, the hx seems superior to the rmx, the pc is working better.
Corsair gotta put that in marketing for HX-i LOL. It's placebo affect or you've inadvertently fixed the PC while replacing the PSU.
So now i want to upgrade again and am thinking of the corasair ax series which appears to be corsairs best.
HX-i is better.

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I am using the on board graphics card at the moment and probably will stay with that as the motherboard only has one pci-e slot, am using that slot for a soundblaster ae-9 soundcard so will have to put up with this situation for the moment until i upgrade the motherboard.

Seasonic are saying their prime titanium series are the best psu's and are charging over £300 for these. What is the big deal, what do they give for charging this much money.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Seasonic are saying their prime titanium series are the best psu's and are charging over £300 for these. What is the big deal, what do they give for charging this much money.
For the record, Corsair AX is Seasonic Prime Titanium. They may be ones of the best, but more often than not they're not competitively priced at all, as there are other options which arre just as good or better, Like Corsair HX or HX-i. They charge for the brand recognition.

Reactions: Barcod

johnn1111

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Thanks. As you rightly say they charge extra for the brand recognition, which of course they do with everything else in life cars phones domestic appliances etc, so is it possible to buy a good quality power supply at a cheaper price rather than having to pay double because it has a corsair sticker on it. If so which psu would you recommend.
Thanks

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Thanks. As you rightly say they charge extra for the brand recognition, which of course they do with everything else in life cars phones domestic appliances etc, so is it possible to buy a good quality power supply at a cheaper price rather than having to pay double because it has a corsair sticker on it. If so which psu would you recommend.
Thanks
I was talking about Seasonic, their PSUs except for Focus Gold are often very overpriced. Corsair overall is cheaper but there may be some options with even better value, depends on your market tho, where are you from ?

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
Your audio shouldn't have any effect as it dependant on motherboard itself and case connectors if you use front jacks. Motherboard is the first thing to get power from PSU. Motherboard will hardly use over 100 watts. Average motherboards use around 60 watt. I think that is placebo.

Solution