Recommendations on new system build.

Mallory Woods

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hello all,

I'm planning on building a new system soon and I wanted to get some suggestions on parts to buy. I'll try to be as specific as possible as to what this system will be used for but I'm pretty flexible on components that will be used for this system.

The primary purpose of this system is to go in a home office. It will mainly be used for: writing code, some light video editing, Photoshop image manipulation and if I find a 48 hour week some gaming. re: gaming I'm not planning on playing anything FPS heavy just something to break up the work/play aspect. re: coding I have my environment running a virtual machine (virtualbox) that emulates a windows 7 pc. It runs mysql, apache and coldfusion. Right now this setup is working out fine on a Win7 latop. I also plan to do some video conferencing with google hangouts.

It will be a dual monitor setup that's using VGA for outputs. My thought process is to have an SSD for booting and a standard SATA drive to hold the data.

Components purchased: I have the two monitors already two (Samsung Monitors)

If at all possible if some of suggested components are on sale its a bonus!

I saw this on sale yesterday and I was looking at it for the SSD (SSD)

CPU: I would like to go with an i7 for the CPU
Motherboard: I'm open to suggestions here as long as it has at lest 4 SATA connectors in the inside.
PSU: I'm a newb at calculating the proper power needed so all suggestions are considered.
Memory: I think that 16G would be good for this system but if we need to go up so be it.
Cooling: Evo Cooler Master I have used this before and it really works well keeping a hot AMD build cool. However, I'm not married to it in case there is a better suggestion.
Case: I have had the best luck with cooler master cases. They seem to work best for me. But, also open to suggestion.
Graphics Card: This is also a bit of a puzzler to me: It needs to be able to support a dual monitor setup and run adobe premier.
Webcam:Webcam - I picked this from a best suggested list of hardware for google hangouts. As always, if there is something better, I'm up for it.

I'm in the US and open to using Amazon, NewEgg or any online retailer that preferably ships from the US.

I do live near two microcenter stores and can drive there for pickup in case they have the parts there for a decent price.

Thanks for your time in looking at this and for your suggestions. If there is anything that I have left out or if there are any questions I'll update as needed. Thanks

UPDATE: Budget: Up to $2K for parts.

Non-overclocking with a single GPU...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($316.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.45 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1003.27

...or overclock as you please and add a second GTX 970 in SLI when / if you need more graphics muscle.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($364.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($316.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.45 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1286.27