[SOLVED] Recommendations to fix broken base on hp 27" all in one?

heweaver

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
This isn't really a case MOD but maybe u guys who do mod cases can give me some advice. One of our customers was bringing in his hp all in one 27" touchscreen (HP 27-d0080)just to have dinner software work done. On his way out to the car, he dropped it and the metal base broke right at three monitor part. The system still works fine, it just has nothing to stand on anymore. This part is not removable on this model and I couldn't even find it for sale like as part of a frame or anything. It looks like this base was welded together or poured in place and then the rest of the system was built around it. Here are some images of the damage. Just looking for any suggestion to repair it or even an alternate way to create new feet or a new base of some kind. Probably need some creativity on this one. Thanks!

Solution
I would suggest getting a VESA mount kit. I used this one:

Amazon.com: VIVO Adapter VESA Mount Quick Release Bracket Kit, Stand Attachment and Wall Mount Removable VESA Plate for Easy LCD Monitor and TV Screen Mounting, Stand-VAD2 : Electronics

It comes apart into two sections.

Use Gorilla tape and a good silicone (or similar) adhesive on one side and then you can utilize any VESA spec monitor "arm/mount" to support it. In this case perhaps a "super glue" type adhesive.

Before you laugh, I used this exact solution to mount a broken laptop with no screen to the back of a TV for which I had selected the wrong size adapter and needed it sooner than later.
The double sized Gorilla tape is quite strong. Clean the area with an...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest getting a VESA mount kit. I used this one:

Amazon.com: VIVO Adapter VESA Mount Quick Release Bracket Kit, Stand Attachment and Wall Mount Removable VESA Plate for Easy LCD Monitor and TV Screen Mounting, Stand-VAD2 : Electronics

It comes apart into two sections.

Use Gorilla tape and a good silicone (or similar) adhesive on one side and then you can utilize any VESA spec monitor "arm/mount" to support it. In this case perhaps a "super glue" type adhesive.

Before you laugh, I used this exact solution to mount a broken laptop with no screen to the back of a TV for which I had selected the wrong size adapter and needed it sooner than later.
The double sized Gorilla tape is quite strong. Clean the area with an alcohol pad first and use them spaced out in such a way that you can use the adhesive between them. The Gorilla pads will hold it in place until the adhesive dries and cures. In this situation you might even be able to do away with the tape altogether.

Solution

heweaver

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
That is a great idea and I see how it would work even with any kind of vesa mount really... Someone else suggested in weld although I've never personally used it for anything. Could that also help you think too?

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
Using our STAND-VAD2 adapter in the link with a strong adhesive could possibly work, but we would advise against that (some customers in the past who have tried that ended up with a cracked monitor on the floor) especially since the back of your PC is curved instead of flat. We did develop another universal VESA adapter a while ago (MOUNT-UVM01) which is rated to hold AIO computers.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Using our STAND-VAD2 adapter in the link with a strong adhesive could possibly work, but we would advise against that (some customers in the past who have tried that ended up with a cracked monitor on the floor) especially since the back of your PC is curved instead of flat. We did develop another universal VESA adapter a while ago (MOUNT-UVM01) which is rated to hold AIO computers.

I would mention that the adapter has worked perfectly for the (rigged up) application I have it on. The silicone itself hardened nicely and between it and the gorilla tape it has held exceptionally well and in temps down to ~40F and up to about 95F. The area is heated/cooled, but when we aren't there we keep the settings minimal to save energy.
I particularly liked the 'two part' aspect of the selected mount, such that I can still get into the back of the laptop if needed.