Question Recommended Anti virus - What would you buy?

hicks451

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi all,

One again I have to ask the great TH members for some advice and as so many of you have been kind enough to make sure I get the best advice I can with all the help I have needed so far I call upon you all one last time before I finish building my very first dedicated gaming Pc (but not my first pc build) and set up my new network router. What internet antivirus software would you recommend other than Norton?
I have been looking at Bit defender but wanted to see what others would suggest before I go ahead and buy some.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2022
Windows Defender is utterly useless you are better of using emsisoft free scanner that uses bitdefender engines alongside its own, requires no install so you can run it a portable fashion. Also use free AVG or AVast if you dont want to purchase internet security package, then again windows firewall is just as useless and windows defender.

Malwarebytes is also excellent.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows Defender is utterly useless you are better of using emsisoft free scanner that uses bitdefender engines alongside its own, requires no install so you can run it a portable fashion. Also use free AVG or AVast if you dont want to purchase internet security package, then again windows firewall is just as useless and windows defender.

Malwarebytes is also excellent.
Most of the tech world disagrees with you.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/consumer/test-results/microsoft-windows/
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/best-antivirus/

Aug 1, 2022
In my experience even with updated windows defender it failed to find particular virus which malwarebytes easily found and removed. This is my own experience....the windows defender corporate version is probably the one mentioned in that link, . Secondly most tech people i know use Tronscript for badly infected computers which windows firewall and windows defender failed to block. Tronscript runs dism check after using kaspersky and malwarebytes and other tools disinfect a computer and then repairs corrupted files via file checker and dism . Emsisoft emergency kit is something i use in place of windows defender.....

Aug 1, 2022

Really, like windows 11 is not doing the exact same thing, like android.........facebook etc....i was talking about virus removal, this is whole other issue about privacy

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Yes, there is no reason for home users to pay for anti-virus programs these days. Not only does Windows Defender work decently, but a free anti-virus like Avast, Malwarebytes, etc., as a secondary measure is more than enough. In addition to paying for anti-virus programs being a waste of money (unless you want the premium features that come with it, i.e. vpn, mail scanning, etc.), some of the paid programs actually make and install their own viruses to catch to make it look like it's actually doing something worth while. Norton Anti-virus has been known to do this.

Personally, I recommend Avast Free Antivirus. It comes with more than enough protection and features for free and even has a really good "do not disturb" mode for if you do not want notifications.

Aug 1, 2022
here

Yeah well, that does not mean much to me, the video I linked shows a real test and avira won.....windows defender missed a infection, granted it has gotten better but then missing 1 or 10 infections...the issue is security and it must catch all infections or all those that other protection software caught. I would use Avira, Avast or AVG , Emsisoft which also bitdefender engine to protect my pc rather rely on Windows security.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah well, that does not mean much to me, the video I linked shows a real test and avira won.....windows defender missed a infection, granted it has gotten better but then missing 1 or 10 infections...the issue is security and it must catch all infections or all those that other protection software caught. I would use Avira, Avast or AVG , Emsisoft which also bitdefender engine to protect my pc rather rely on Windows security.
Youtube videos really means nothing you can alter the results anyway you wish by hand picking things to test.

For all you know he could of been paid by them to make that video.
Uses this virus on a not updated version of defender.

Aug 1, 2022
Youtube videos really means nothing you can alter the results anyway you wish by hand picking things to test.

For all you know he could of been paid by them to make that video.
Uses this virus on a not updated version of defender.

You could say the same of links posted by others which say windows defender is great, they could have been paid and those stats were based on usability, time scan and give an overall score.