[SOLVED] reconfigure router as a wireless AP.

Nov 30, 2020
I have an RJ45 connection in my workshop but need wireless as well. I have seen on the forum that an old router can be configured to do the job but I have no idea how to do it. I need simple detailed info.
Thanks

Solution
I have connected the Plusnet router to a laptop with a network cable and don’t know what to do next. If I put the mouse over the signal strength thing it shows Plusnet and Shell. Do I disable the Shell router and how do I do the setup.
Best regards,
Mark
With the network cable connected, you would configure tha Plusnet as an access point as described in the article I linked. You disable the DHCP server, set the SSIDs, set the IP address of the Plusnet device, and reboot the router. When it comes back, you will have to set a static IP address on the laptop because there is no DHCP server on this point-to-point connection. Assuming you can still access the Plusnet device, then you would power it off, connect a LAN port back...
I have an RJ45 connection in my workshop but need wireless as well. I have seen on the forum that an old router can be configured to do the job but I have no idea how to do it. I need simple detailed info.
Thanks

What model of router are you trying to configure? The software is vastly different depending on what you have. It's not like a car where they all kind of drive the same.

Nov 30, 2020
Yep, if you can give us a make and model we can help more. But here is the generic how-to -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/ Read that first.
First of all, thank you for your help so far. I have an EE Brightbox and Plusnet routers, my preference is the Plusnet only because of the mounting bracket. At the moment I am looking at the generic option. I have got as far as getting the numeric code. After that, it says to connect the router to a computer via a network cable and log in. Now I am lost, I have unplugged my pc from my router and connected the router that I want to convert directly to my PCt. How do I log in?
Best regards,
Mark

kanewolf

Titan
First of all, thank you for your help so far. I have an EE Brightbox and Plusnet routers, my preference is the Plusnet only because of the mounting bracket. At the moment I am looking at the generic option. I have got as far as getting the numeric code. After that, it says to connect the router to a computer via a network cable and log in. Now I am lost, I have unplugged my pc from my router and connected the router that I want to convert directly to my PCt. How do I log in?
Best regards,
Mark
I generally recommend setting up the AP router not connected to the primary network. Do all the setup, then reboot and connect to the primary network. I like to use a laptop, just because then you can test the wired and wireless connectivity.

Nov 30, 2020
I generally recommend setting up the AP router not connected to the primary network. Do all the setup, then reboot and connect to the primary network. I like to use a laptop, just because then you can test the wired and wireless connectivity.
I have connected the Plusnet router to a laptop with a network cable and don’t know what to do next. If I put the mouse over the signal strength thing it shows Plusnet and Shell. Do I disable the Shell router and how do I do the setup.
Best regards,
Mark

kanewolf

Titan
Best regards,
Mark
With the network cable connected, you would configure tha Plusnet as an access point as described in the article I linked. You disable the DHCP server, set the SSIDs, set the IP address of the Plusnet device, and reboot the router. When it comes back, you will have to set a static IP address on the laptop because there is no DHCP server on this point-to-point connection. Assuming you can still access the Plusnet device, then you would power it off, connect a LAN port back to the primary router and power it on. You set your laptop back to DHCP. You should have an IP address assigned from your primary router.
If this is too complicated, maybe you should look for youtube videos on converting a router to an access point.

Solution