[SOLVED] Recording a BIOS screen?

McJones9631

Prominent
Apr 22, 2021
Hey! So let me explain myself.
I built my first gaming PC inside of a beige Gateway case, and went all out on the retro look (down to a Y2K sticker on the side!). I have an Asus motherboard that I want to change the BIOS screen for with Asus's application that allows you to do that.
I have an early 2000s(?) Gateway laptop I grew up playing on, running Windows XP and has a very slick Gateway BIOS screen that I can't find a picture of anywhere. So, I bought an Elgato HD 60 S in the hopes to record it booting, along with a VGA to HDMI adapter. However, Elgato doesn't even recognize the resolution format of the screen. SO I did a little playing around after lackluster support from Elgato's support, I hooked the laptop up to my Samsung Smart TV. From there, I was actually able to get the second screen to display 720p, but no BIOS that way. Is there any other way? It would just be really cool with all my Windows tweaks and all to make it look exactly like Windows 98 on my gaming computer to even boot to an authentic Gateway BIOS capture. Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
You might want to construct your sentence a little better. What is the make and model of your laptop? If the laptop's screen isn't mirrored to the external display during POST process, then you can try and use a screwdriver, place it on the hinge area where a magnet should reside that's actually a switch, make sure that the screwdriver is placed on that magnet prior to booting up the laptop. Once placed, pressing on the power button will cause the laptop to think that the primary display is the TV, so you should be able to get a BIOS splash screen but I doubt you're going to capture that BIOS image.

Further reading;

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to construct your sentence a little better. What is the make and model of your laptop? If the laptop's screen isn't mirrored to the external display during POST process, then you can try and use a screwdriver, place it on the hinge area where a magnet should reside that's actually a switch, make sure that the screwdriver is placed on that magnet prior to booting up the laptop. Once placed, pressing on the power button will cause the laptop to think that the primary display is the TV, so you should be able to get a BIOS splash screen but I doubt you're going to capture that BIOS image.

Further reading;

Solution