Recording gameplay/Monitor with ShadowPlay/OBS/Anything creates insane lag/stutter

speedyprods

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Long story short I had a gtx960 2gb that used to work fine to use shadowplay with to record my gameplay then suddenly everytime I used it or any screen recorder I would get insane stutter issues.
I've tried formatting my PC and i've tried uninstalling graphical drivers and reinstalling using DDU. Nothing seems to work, after doing that I decided that it had to be my graphics card so I upgraded my gtx960 2gb card to a 1080ti Aorus Xtreme and tried again with no luck.

I'm thinking it must be some kind of a disk drive issue. I've tried to use both my HDD and my SSD to record gameplay but I feel like when my PC is constantly writing the recordings to the disk drive(s) it causes this stutter and lag.

For a long time i've thought there was something wrong with my disk drives since sometimes when I turn on my PC it takes time for my PC to load up the drives.SSD+HDD at first but then it normalizes and opens up flawlessly afterwards. (Happens too that it takes 30 seconds to empty the recycle bin at times. All this still happens after a clean format etc, also can it be my PSU? I'm not really that educated in these matters but it sure as hell isn't my GPU?

Here are the stutter issues shown in a video (using shadowplay to record if I use it's instant replay I get stutters too just not as many as when I record manually): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoq_79MPFgI

My Specs (speccy+psu):
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.00GHz Running at 30-32°c and ~50 while gaming.
RAM: 24.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1066MHz.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170X-Gaming 3 Running at 37°c
Graphics card: 3071MB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Gigabyte) Running at 54°c and about 72°c in games. (it says 3071MB because Speccy reports it wrong)
Storage: 238GB PLEXTOR PX-256M6S+ (SSD), 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
Audio: Realtek High Definiton Audio.
PSU: 750W CPM Combat Power
RAM info: https://gyazo.com/8d11c8c61af6a03db5ac40a62422436c
All Other info: http://pasted.co/706d3da4 password: f3wv4m04kfaec23

I've been searching for a solution for almost a year now and thought it was finally time to make a thread.

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone can help me! Appreciate your work.

Solution
No you don't. I never thought to mention that because I assume all people set their computers to maximum performance. Remember that Windows can be used on a laptop, so 'balanced' will prolong the charge on the battery by trading off performance. That's why that setting option exists. Since you're not using a laptop, you should set it for maximum performance.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The recording of video in software form requires mostly CPU for the capturing and encoding of each frame at "x" frames per second.

Swing as how you have an i7 6700k that shouldn't be a big problem. However, it is dependent also on what quality of recording you are doing. In OBS change the CPU preset for encoding to veryfast or ultrafast this can and usually will result in pixelated picture during scenes of very fast motion.
You can choose to record in lossless which is like raw and better quality of video with no noticeable performance penalty but at the cost of hard drive space.
To record in lossless simply Google it. It's a simple setting change

"Happens too that it takes 30 seconds to empty the recycle bin at times"

How big is your recycle bin? Mine is 100mb, anything other than that gets deleted without sitting in the recycle bin. Unless you like to have gigabytes of data sitting in your recycle bin for some crazy reason, more than a couple of seconds to dump everything would raise a red flag to me. You say you're not educated in these matters, it makes me wonder if you're aware you don't treat SSDs like you do mechanical hard drives. No defragging for instance.

I don't know what you mean by 'load up the drives". The OS should be on the SSD so you boot up fast. Your mechanical hard drive should be for whatever doesn't fit on the SSD, such as a large game library. My SSD is a slow 120gb model and yet the thing that takes the most time when booting up is me typing in my password to login. Something sounds off about your setup.

speedyprods

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I never defrag my SSD unless my PC is doing that by itself and no it used to be like I could have 1kb in my recycle bin and it would take forever to empty it no matter the size. My OS is installed on my SSD. My PC boots fast, I actually haven't had the recycle bin/drive problem for a few weeks now. I know I can't treat an SSD like an HDD but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Also I've tried to record/save videos only using my HDD and it's the same issue.

speedyprods

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I've tried recording in the lowest quality possible with shadowplay 30fps 45s clips low quality and i've tried those OBS settings the issue still presists. My GTX960 back in the day would record my gameplay in high quality 60fps 5 minutes back in time without any stuttering though.

speedyprods

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I have found the solution. When I changed the power options to Balanced from High Performance I can record it all in high quality without any kind of stuttering. The question is.. Does that mean I need a new PSU?

No you don't. I never thought to mention that because I assume all people set their computers to maximum performance. Remember that Windows can be used on a laptop, so 'balanced' will prolong the charge on the battery by trading off performance. That's why that setting option exists. Since you're not using a laptop, you should set it for maximum performance.

Solution

speedyprods

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
No, i'm saying on high performance I get stutters and lag but on balanced I don't...