Question Recover data off a hdd with bad sectors

Jan 4, 2020
Hello, I have a 6-month-old acer ex2540 (290gb, windows 10) and possibly after a windows update the laptop couldn't boot and the repair/restore/undo updates and chechdisk commands wouldn't work. Using diskpart I saw that the disk was raw. After trying to install a second operating system (windows 7, and to do that I changed from uefi to legacy) just to be able to take pictures, music etc the disk became unallocated with no partitions or volume. I used bootable usb running easeus and minitool to retrieve my data but nothing happened. I run a scan and found out that all the sectors were bad. I finally tried to clone it using ubuntu live but the disk is not visible.
If anyone has any idea if I can do something more or if it is a lost case please tell me.
Thank you very much, Giorgia

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello, I have a 6-month-old acer ex2540 (290gb, windows 10) and possibly after a windows update the laptop couldn't boot and the repair/restore/undo updates and chechdisk commands wouldn't work. Using diskpart I saw that the disk was raw. After trying to install a second operating system (windows 7, and to do that I changed from uefi to legacy) just to be able to take pictures, music etc the disk became unallocated with no partitions or volume. I used bootable usb running easeus and minitool to retrieve my data but nothing happened. I run a scan and found out that all the sectors were bad. I finally tried to clone it using ubuntu live but the disk is not visible.
If anyone has any idea if I can do something more or if it is a lost case please tell me.
Thank you very much, Giorgia

Hi @giorgiagis

Bummer on the bad sectors.. If it's 6 months old, it'll still be under warranty (unless you bought it used, but still check) As for recovering the data, try Recuva.

Reactions: giorgiagis
Jan 4, 2020
After trying all that with no success, any data recovery is out of your hands.
How much $$ is this data worth to you?

This is specifically why we stress backups. A dead drive should never involve loss of data.

Photos and music my son composed and saved in the laptop is something I would very much like to retrieve if possible