[SOLVED] Recover old stuff from windows.old and access another drive

quico.medeiros

Reputable
Feb 20, 2018
Hi,
I cloned an old ssd to a new ssd m2, I wanted to give the old ssd to a friend so I deleted all my stuff from there and removed all the partitions... the problem was when I shut down my pc and tried to boot it gave me a blue screen with an error 0x00000e and it didint boot.
I basically had to reinstall a new windows because every time i tried to boot the pc would restart and restart...
So I did a fresh install and all my old stuff are in windows.old. What can I do to have all my stuff back? Do I need to install everthing again? All my programs are there and I cant access them...
I had another drive , HDD, and i can't access the stuff thats inside either... What can I do about that too?

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Solution
You can get your files by using the file manager and opening Windows.old\Users\<your name> and copying your documents, photos, videos, music... over to your user account in the new installation. Games saves can be stored in several locations so you'll need to google to see where those are.

Programs unfortunately need to be reinstalled.

popatim

Titan
You can get your files by using the file manager and opening Windows.old\Users\<your name> and copying your documents, photos, videos, music... over to your user account in the new installation. Games saves can be stored in several locations so you'll need to google to see where those are.

Solution

quico.medeiros

Reputable
Feb 20, 2018

Hum I see.
And what about the other drive that i can't access anything... Like when I search in the windows shearch bar it dosent appear and when i go to the file manger and try to open a program manually it dosen't open

popatim

Titan
Again, programs from the old systems are not likely to run. When you install them they write data in many places such as the registry and the users hidden appdata folder. It may also have a different drive letter in this new Windows which would further confuse the issue.

Are you getting any messages when you access something that is not a program?