recover on nethack.alt.org

I had my connection drop while I was playing on nao. Now I get a message
that there is already a game in progress and do I want to destroy the old
game. Does anyone know of anyway to recover this game.
Thanks for the help
Dave

d. wrote:

> I had my connection drop while I was playing on nao. Now I get a message
> that there is already a game in progress and do I want to destroy the old
> game. Does anyone know of anyway to recover this game.

When that happened to me, I just had to wait for a while and then reconnect
(try going to the "view other peoples games" section, and wait until your
name disappears from the list.)

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

d wrote:
> I had my connection drop while I was playing on nao. Now I get a
message
> that there is already a game in progress and do I want to destroy the
old
> game. Does anyone know of anyway to recover this game.

As far as I can guess: the game may have crashed hard, leaving the
playground littered with files (that's the "old game"), or the
connection may have been dropped in a way that Nethack's own hangup
detection didn't notice it and autosave. I don't think the software at
NAO actually runs the game recovery utility at all -- I can see how
someone might think that could make the game vulnerable to abuse.

I had this problem last year, never could get someone in charge of
running the server to recover the game for me (I think they just don't
*do* that for players anymore), eventually someone cleaned out the
playground and I lost the game, which was really annoying at the time
because it was my first serious ascension candidate on the server.

- John H.

Yea, I've tried that. The funny thing is that my name isn't listed.

"Benjamin Lewis" <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in message
> d. wrote:
>
> > I had my connection drop while I was playing on nao. Now I get a message
> > that there is already a game in progress and do I want to destroy the
old
> > game. Does anyone know of anyway to recover this game.
>
> When that happened to me, I just had to wait for a while and then
reconnect
> (try going to the "view other peoples games" section, and wait until your
> name disappears from the list.)
>
> --
> Benjamin Lewis
>
> Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
> significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
> resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

Thanks for the info . . I guess :)
I finally had a samurai ready to ascend. Was just doing Vlad's tower and
needed to find the vibrating square.
Thanks again

d <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I had my connection drop while I was playing on nao. Now I get a message
> that there is already a game in progress and do I want to destroy the old
> game. Does anyone know of anyway to recover this game.
> Thanks for the help
> Dave

I can do the recover, but i'd need to know your username.
Response time is faster if you ask me on the IRC,
channel #nethack on irc.freenode.net, or via email.

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org