[SOLVED] Recovering data from an HDD drive after an head-crash

rd1066_2

Honorable
Dec 15, 2017
My 500 Seagate 2,5'' suffered an head crash. I opened the drive with a torx screwdriver and was able to put the head back to its rest position.. I did this very carefully. I noticed that there was a visible "ring" caused by the scratching of the head on the platter....
However it never worked again.... I also did another thing that probably I shouldn't have done: I thought that the head was faulty and bought
an identical model of the drive.... Then I opened the drive a second time and... replaced the head my self with the new one...
Still after this operation the hard drive doesn't work. The HDD is 'somewhat' detected by Windows "Disk Managment" tool: it detects its correct size...
but .... it shows as "Disk unknown" not initialized....
I can't believe all data are lost... I'm stubborn and I believe that even if some damages have been done (during the headcrash and during the 2 times I opened the driver in an attempt to repair it) some data are still recoverable.. Let's say 20% of data are gone forever ok I could deal with it... but I still think it would worth the effort trying to recover 80% of data. Afterall an head-crash only affect the area that has been scratched by the head, right?( i.e. that visible circle
I saw when opened the drive)... and even the dust that the platter may have catched during the few seconds I kept the drive in open air ( the 2 times I opened it, once to unstuck the head , the second time to replace the head with the new one) would affect only the upper side of the platter not the lower.. right?
BTW the hardrive has only 1 platter and 2 heads on both sides
What could I do? What type of tools could you suggest me to recover the data???
Thank you very much

Solution
What type of tools could you suggest me to recover the data???
Your wallet.
For a data recovery company, add a zero or two to their standard cost for all the messing around you've done.

This is beyond a kitchen table fix.

Indeed, probably beyond ANY fix.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
My 500 Seagate 2,5'' suffered an head crash. I opened the drive with a torx screwdriver and was able to put the head back to its rest position.. I did this very carefully.

If this is how you opened it, you opened it "very carefully." If not, you didn't.

pg-data-recovery-lab-work-in-cleanroom.jpg

All you basically did was very likely add an "s" to the end of "thousand" in the cost to recover this data. Plus whatever you paid for the second hard drive you destroyed.

What type of tools could you suggest me to recover the data???

main-qimg-803d2e4a17abb9f05a6d4df243bbf162