[SOLVED] recovering data from HDD

Apr 5, 2020
Hello, so I have put my self in a pickle. I used a hdd from a old laptop (Windows 7) as an external memory drive to save and back up lots of files. I was bored so I fixed the old laptop and tried putting the original hdd back. There was issues right away so the laptop tried to fix disk errors without affecting files. This led to not able to boot up anymore. I removed the hdd and plugged it via usb into my current laptop (Windows 10). All the files that were added externally are gone. Still contains files from original laptop. Is there any chance those files are still somewhere ? Any advice on how to recover them? I have looked at some software recovery programs like Testdisk, but I rather get some advice before I start attempting things.

Solution
So you put it back in the original laptop, and it (somehow) tried to revert it back to the original Win 7.
And was apparently partially successful?

Well, you can be sure that at least some of your stuff is gone. Probably all, but maybe only some.

Whatever "recovery" you try MUST be recovered to a different physical drive.
How much is this data worth to you?

(and I shall point you at my sig pic below)

USAFRet

Titan
So you put it back in the original laptop, and it (somehow) tried to revert it back to the original Win 7.
And was apparently partially successful?

Well, you can be sure that at least some of your stuff is gone. Probably all, but maybe only some.

Whatever "recovery" you try MUST be recovered to a different physical drive.
How much is this data worth to you?

(and I shall point you at my sig pic below)

Solution