Recovering Documents from Old Windows 10 Installation

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014
I was running out of space on my HDD and was given a spare by someone for extra storage. I made some sort of slip-up when formatting my new HDD and subsequently Windows 10 failed to boot from my original HDD. After spending a while trying to get to the root of the problem (I suspect that I did something wrong with the settings in 'Disk Management'), I decided to install Windows onto my new HDD instead. From there I noticed that I can now access the files on my old HDD, but the folder 'My Documents' seems to have vanished (as in "C:\Users\<MyName>\Documents"). Anyone know if there's any means of recovering these files? There is a folder on its place, "C:\Users\Default.migrated\Documents", but this is unfortunately empty...

Try doing a search for one of the files in the documents folder. I.E. bring up task manager, point to the drive, then search the whole drive for one of the missing files. That will run a few minutes, but if the folder is still there, the search should find it.

JoeSchmo12346

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2014

In task manager, is that correct? I tried searching for some files in the search bar in the top right hand corner of file explorer, but no joy. I even went as far to search from E:\, but nothing came back. Not looking good...