Question Recovering lost data on SSD after swap with faster one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2019
Good Morning

Yesterday I installed a Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB and moved my Windows OS on to that one from my older Samsung SSD 850 EVO. However, during the process I forgot to backup another user profile which had important files. I'm sure I deleted the partitions for the older one so are my files gone forever? I haven't saved anything onto the old one, its empty at the moment to prevent anything being rewritten.

USAFRet

Titan
Ultimately, though...this is one of the reasons you see us harping on backups around here.
If I were to "accidentally" reformat one of my current drives...click click...recover the entirety as it was last night. No hoping or maybe.

Mar 9, 2019
In this case, all you can do is try any of the current consumer grade data recovery tools
Recuva or TestDisk would be the first things I'd try.

I used Recuva yesterday and was met with weird results. I'll use it again and paste a picture. Give me like 15 minutes. Also thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it!

Also yes you're right. I didn't pay it much mind since I only had documents backed up on google drive but I totally forgot about sister's profile which is why I'm going through this.

Last edited:
You're not going to be able to recover any deleted items from an SSD using any of the tools available at the consumer level. And, the longer the drive is powered up the less data can be recovered by professionals. After about an hour or so nothing useful will be recoverable. This is why we preach backups, and backups of backups.

USAFRet

Titan
No questions, no excuses...full drive backups.

My linked procedure may seem overkill, but it paid for itself a couple of months ago, when I had to recover the entirety of a dead SSD.
605GB, recovered 100% from the backup at 4AM.

Mar 9, 2019
No questions, no excuses...full drive backups.

My linked procedure may seem overkill, but it paid for itself a couple of months ago, when I had to recover the entirety of a dead SSD.
605GB, recovered 100% from the backup at 4AM.
Fair enough. I'll read up =).

Status
Not open for further replies.