Recovering Lost DRAM Size error on X58A-UD3R. Please help.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bgarrant

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I have tried just about everything I can think of myself and wanted to turn to the experts before I RMA the MOBO. I have a X58A-UD3R board, Intel i& 950 and 12 GB of OCZ Gold 6GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory (Model: OCZ3G1600LV6GK). For some reason in the BIOS it is only showing 8 GB of RAM installed. It appears slot 5 and 6 (Channel C) are not enabled which I can see in M.I.T. Slots 1-4 show 2048 and slots 5 and 6 shows " - " where it says 'Enabled Slot (MB). It does however show the full 12 GB DRAM installed, but just not slot 5 and 6 enabled. I have not overclocked anything as this is a work PC. There are no warning beeps. The system will boot and will POST to hit "Recovering Lost DRAM Size" error and then reboot 3 times in same manner. On the 4th boot the PC will load windows 7 normally with no issues. I have flashed the BIOS to latest FC version. I read that many people have found bent CPU socket pins but I have checked and all is fine there. I even reset the CPU and heatsink just to be sure with a new application of Artic Silver.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue or do I need to just RMA the board?

Bryan

gamblore

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Hi A2nbot,

Yes, it would do the DRAM message and then restart and this would repeat. Sometimes it would stop the reboot cycle and sometimes it would just keep automatically rebooting. When I was memtesting with all 6 sticks before the voltage increase memtest would freeze instead of doing any restarting. When I tested less sticks it would work fine.

Come to think of it, I think this problem was there before I recognised it as critical problem because on occasion I remember during the boot up process it would do a restart but then boot up ok. It hardly happenned often and I was assuming it was a Win7 auto update process after just installing an update which I didn't notice but now I think the problem just got worse as the compute aged. Odds are the voltage is too low and as the computer circuits age they becomes less conductive and therefore a barely noticeable problem ends up becoming critical by preventing you from using the computer.

Also note I only raised my voltage to 1.6V not 1.65V. Only reason I did that was I was just being cautious. I have found 1.6V to work perfectly.

kadakada

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
First of all I want to thank everyone who helps to people who are facing problems.

My PC configuration:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
M/B: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 rev.2.0 BIOS FF3
DRAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K3/6G 6GB PC3-10600 CL9 240-pin DIMM Kit (3x2GB) - 2 kits
Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Ultimate Edition 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

After spent a lot of time I was not able to solve the problem with the detecting of DRAM size. After power up the memory detected only for channel 1 and 2 - 8GB instead 12 GB. After rebooting the memory size recognized correct - 12GB, but when Windows starts up I have BSOD.

And I thought I found the problem and solved it - bended pins.
But it did not help. And finally I was able to solve the problem after the fifth attempt to correct pin position (pin №1, see picture).

I sincerely believe that DRAM detecting problems are almost always associated with poor contact between the processor and memory modules: 1. Bent pin/s on the processor socket; 2. Bad contact in the memory module slot.

First pin (see picture). This pin was turned outwards. When I turned it back, I was not able to position it as needed (see picture). So I still had a problems with memory. In the end I lifted up the pin a bit with a small tweezers taking pins base, and then pressed at the end of the pin with a small screwdriver to position pin in the desired position.
The second pin caused fewer problems.

After the performed operations the memory detected with no problems.
http://s7.postimg.org/92mhfcb0r/Bended_pins_2.jpg

Sep 27, 2018

can u er upload the pic