[SOLVED] Recurring BSODs, Any Help is appreciated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 17, 2020
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to look at this. I had dealt with several persistent BSODs from January to March of this year, then after a windows reinstall, was error free for three months. Then this past week, the BSODs have begun recurring. Typically they happen when playing a game (Overwatch is the most common culprit, but I've experienced them in Red Dead Redemption 2, and VR titles like Blade and Sorcery or Pavlov VR), but today I've had several BSODs in the course of working/browsing. Today I've had BSODs connected to installation of some troubleshooting software (Win 10 ISO image, malwarebytes installation), and running the DISM tool and chkdsk.

My experiences/repair attempts have been very similar to users @_Treadstone (see: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ating-to-ntoskrnl-exe-for-months-now.3581744/ ) and @_Red-EyeD (see: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...atest-build-3700x-x470.3579352/#post-21610090 ). Error codes have been all over the place – page faults, kernel exceptions, heap errors, write violations, etc. Pretty sure I’ve seen most if not all of the codes referenced by @_Treadstone above.

In addition to a fresh windows repair and reinstall, I’ve rolled back/ reinstalled GPU drivers, gone through 8 passes of Memtest (no errors), run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f, DISM tool options (all clean eventually, though I did experience some BSODs when attempting to run them), windows memory test (no errors). I’ve run Furmark as a GPU stress, as well as testing the processor via Intel Extreme Tuning Utility as well as the Intel Diagnostic Tool and all have come up fine.

I have not had much success with Driver Verifier. Deselecting all Microsoft Drivers and enabling verifier leads to a BSOD loop at boot and eventual system restore. My next step was to use DDU to do a clean uninstall of the graphics drivers and then reinstall, but am willing to try anything short of a blood sacrifice (although I could be convinced depending on whose blood we’re talking).

When I first built the PC (October 2018), I ran into some similar issues that I eventually traced to the voltage settings in the BIOS for my mother board (see: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&PN=1&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug). Earlier this week, I checked the voltages and noticed they had reverted back to default (possibly during a BIOS update, maybe during windows reinstall? I don’t know). I’ve changed them as per the post linked above, but the BSODs persist.

Specs:

MB: ASRock Motherboard Motherboards Z370 EXTREME4

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)

SSD: 232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) ß Windows

232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))

465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB (PCIe M.2 NVMe (SSD))

PSU: EVGA 750 B3, 80+ Bronze 750W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Compact 160mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0750-V1

Misc: Intel Wireless Gigabit W11100 VR Device ß Wireless VR Adapter

Here is a link to a google drive folder with all the minidumps I have going back to late February through the middle of me typing this post, when I had the last BSOD (6/17/20 @ 2:44 PM EST). There is also the latest large memory.dmp file, as well as DXDiag logs, a SPECCY system snapshot, and some miscellaneous system info (services, hosts, drivers, etc.): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PkfIfCuJuvsCdq3HYvasSWTXJNHrKzZI?usp=sharing

This is driving me up the wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, 1st one is GPU drivers, and this is 3rd time. Last time I said

we have been here already. Perhaps run ddu and run windows update afterwards. Don't install Geforce Experience as you don't want to get the same drivers again.

and yet you have newest drivers from Nvidia now - Jun 21 2020 - nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Graphics Card driver - so you must have installed Geforce experience again?

very few drivers on PC so that reduces choices. I have to say it could be all GPU drivers. The remaining BSOD don't really tell me anything.

this might be newer than what you have - Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.8.65.3606_ME_SW_DCH - https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370 Extreme4/index.asp#Download - it could help.
Not...
Jun 17, 2020
No, I didn't install GEForce Experience - I manually updated to the latest drivers (451.xx) after getting some BSODs with the default Windows chosen one (432.xx). Now I rolled back to ver. 446.14 to see if that might solve it.

Looks like I had the IME driver installed, but I'm doing a repair in case.

I'll let memtest86 run tonight/tomorrow on the sticks one at a time and report back.

Thanks for your continued help.

Jun 17, 2020
Seems like it was a bad stick after all. Running Memtest86 caught the error on its 4th pass. I had run it after the issues started again in June, but only a couple of passes with both sticks in, and had tested them individually in March when I initially ran into problems. I am legitimately curious why Overwatch seemed to consistently trigger the BSODs, even though it utilized half the RAM that Modern Warfare did.

Is it likely that was the issue all along? Maybe I didn't do enough passes on Memtest earlier this year?

Currently running on a new set of RAM, with double the storage. Which is completely overkill for me (don't think I've cracked 50% yet), but they were on sale and only a little more than a set of replacement sticks. I guess I will just never close programs anymore.

In any case, thanks again for your help, @Colif and @gardenman! I will update this thread if I run into any more problems, but hopefully I'm good now!

Reactions: gardenman