Question Recyle old drives to DAS ?

Aug 12, 2024
Hi everyone.
I have upgraded my pc and now I have 4 hard drives (4TB each) that I don't use anymore. I bought a second hand Yottamaster DAS and I'm thinking about using this as a cheap backup solution.

Now my questions are quite simple : I want to backup my documents, photos, videos etc. so . . .

1. Should I format all the drives into RAID to provide a 16TB unique space ? For me having everything in one disk is quite easy because I will be able to backup everything same place and not figuring out where is what. I don't really know what is best option and which software would be capable of doing this RAID config, if it has to be RAID0 or 5, or just keep 4 seperated disks and backup software will be able to manage.

2. Which software I should use ? Isn't it easier to just copy and paste the folders from PC to DAS ?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, this is first time for me.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
1. No RAID. Doubly so for RAID 0.

2. Just copying folders pretty much guarantees you'll miss something, or forget to do it at all.
I do full drive Images with Macrium Reflect. Automated schedule, runs all by itself.
Yes, MR now costs money. But for me, it is one of those applications that is actually worth it. For the price of a couple of games, you get protection for years.

Reactions: Thomas5589
Aug 12, 2024
I found it on Geekpatrol. Is it really too much outdated ? Just because 79 bucks for a a 1 year version for very simple backups...