[SOLVED] Recyling HDD for a budget gaming build and I have questions.

Jeff Kaos

Distinguished
Like the title says I'm rebuilding my kids gaming PC and I'll be replacing pretty much everything except the case and the hard drive. While I know a little bit about hardware and I've built many PCs in my life I'm pretty clueless when it comes to software. And the HDD I'm using already has Windows 7 installed on it.

My main concern is that when everything is said and done and the system is completed I don't want to turn it on the first time and have it boot into Windows 7. My goal is to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 and simultaneously wipe everything off the drive and start from scratch. I just need to know the steps I should go through to make this happen. If anyone can tell me what I need to do I'd be grateful.

Right now my thinking is to make sure to boot up the system into BIOS and then set it up to boot from the USB I have Windows 10 on and then go from there. Is this correct? And will booting from the OS media (USB, DVD, etc.) and reinstalling the OS also do a complete wipe of the drive? I want to make sure the drive is free of all data when I start using the new system as I've already backed up everything that needs to be backed up.

Solution
Create your Win 10 install USB.
Boot from that, and you'll have the option to wipe the drive completely.

USAFRet

Titan
Create your Win 10 install USB.
Boot from that, and you'll have the option to wipe the drive completely.

Solution