Question Red CPU Light on B450 Tomahawk Max II MOBO

Jun 21, 2023
For as long as I remember I have had this annoying red light on my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max II) indicating an issue with my CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X), however, there is not one. My PC runs absolutely fine and has had no issues ever since I purchased the MOBO and CPU over a year ago, The BIOS is up to date, the parts are compatible, and the benchmarks are both excellent, and I have no issues running my PC at all, nor have I ever had any issues with it... Other than the annoying red light (which completely ruins my all-white build aesthetic) I have even tried disabling the light in the MSI lighting software which got me nowhere.
If there is absolutely anything else anyone can think of please let me know.

Extra Information:
Corsair 850W Power Supply (everything is plugged in securely)
Corsair DDR4 3400 32gb Ram (Recently upgraded, has no effect on light, as it was there before and now during its time in my PC)
Zotac Gaming GEFORCE 1650 Graphics Card (I am aware this is less than ideal)

Which exact PSU model do you have?

Is the CPU fan connected to the correct fan header?

RAM is correctly seated into slots A2 and B2

are all power connections connected to the motherboard? 8pin and not only 4pin ATX12V plug? on the other side on the PSU side as well?

any errors showing in BIOS menu? like 0 rpm of the CPU fan

Did you reset the BIOS?

reprogram the BIOS by using the flash button (mflash) and an USB pen drive with the extracted BIOS on it
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

take some pictures, maybe we can see something odd (upload to imgur.com or similar)

might be an issue with this model, could find it very often over the internet.

Did you try installing the beta BIOS version yet? 7C02vHB1

maybe get in contact with MSI

just curious:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023
Hello,

If you have thoroughly checked your setup and ensured that your CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X) is functioning properly and there are no actual issues with your system, but the red light on your motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max II) persists, there are a few possibilities to consider:

False positive indication: It's possible that the red light indicating an issue with the CPU is a false positive or a design flaw in the motherboard. In such cases, the light may remain on even when there is no actual problem. Unfortunately, if this is the case, there may not be a straightforward solution to turn off the light permanently unless a firmware update or a BIOS setting is released by the motherboard manufacturer to address this issue specifically.
Compatibility or firmware issue: While you mentioned that your parts are compatible and the BIOS is up to date, there could still be a compatibility or firmware issue between the motherboard and the CPU. In some cases, specific combinations of hardware may trigger false error indications. It's worth double-checking with the motherboard manufacturer's support or forums to see if there are any known compatibility issues or firmware updates related to the red CPU light.
Contacting manufacturer support: If the red light persists and bothers you despite confirming that there are no actual issues with your system, it may be worth reaching out to the motherboard manufacturer's support team directly. They may have additional insights, potential solutions, or be able to provide information on whether the red light can be disabled through a specific setting or firmware update. MyAARPMedicare

In the end, if the light remains on and none of the above suggestions lead to a resolution, you may need to accept it as a visual quirk of your motherboard's design. You could consider exploring alternative options such as custom case modifications or covers to mitigate the impact of the red light on your build aesthetic.

Best regard,
Austin87

Last edited: