Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Specs:

i5-3570k
Radeon 7870
2x2GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Antec TruePower 650w
ASUS P8Z77-V LX

Okay so I recently asked for advice regarding a problem with my computer in the PSU section of this forum. I was concerned following a random shut down and subsequent inability to boot. The reason I'd posted in the PSU section was because I had initially been given an error message in POST after reboot stating that my PC had been shut down by ASUS anti-surge protection and I had assumed it was due to my power supply and/or lack of surge protection (surge protector, UPS).

However, after doing a quick hardware check it seems that my RAM might have a hand in my problems. Initially, when I tried to boot my computer it would turn on, but there would be no display and it would turn off after about 10 seconds without POST/BIOS. After checking my hardware and finding out that the D-RAM LED was flashing red I removed both RAM sticks which allowed me to boot and the conputer stays on however there is still no display.

So, is it an issue with power or my memory? I'm honestly stumped and would greatly appreciate any advice whatsoever. If I've missed out any info please don't hesitate to ask!

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Unfortunately not. That's why I want to be absolutely sure about what's causing the problem before dishing out money.

I should have mentioned I had this exact problem about a month ago when I replaced my old i3-2100 with my current CPU. I ended up fixing it by simply replacing my RAM in different DIMM slots.

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Tried all 4 slots with both sticks, and completely without. Don't imagine it could be down to my board, CPU or GPU either because I've replaced them all with my older components.

brain_in_a_vat

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hmm. I've tested my old CPU, GPU and board and they work fine. The only components I haven't tested are my RAM, PSU and my drives. I'm half convinced it's my power supply. Do you think I should test it with a multimeter or a power supply tester maybe?