Question Red Dead Redemption 2 stops for a few seconds then runs again ?

Jul 10, 2022
So i've encountered this problem: When i play this game,i can notice the sound dissapearing for half a second and coming back, sometimes it can be distorted, then after a while,the game may stop suddenly,and after a few seconds it plays like normal. The thing is that these are not fps drops because it doesn't skip frames, it's like someone is pausing it and then resuming.
It doesn't happen so often but it is annoying, Can it be because of the SSD as i've noticed it's usage going to 100% with spikes ?

It could be the SSD, I doubt it though.

Unless its a real old SSD, I have a few OCZ models that are actually slower than a HDD when it comes to writes and reads which can be an issue in some situations, but its responsiveness is still way faster than any HDD out there. I'd do a speed test on that SSD with Crystal Disk Mark and just see what kind of speeds that you are getting, if anything move the game to a different drive even if its a HDD and see if its acts the same way.

Crystal Disk Mark: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskMarkInstaller

Jul 10, 2022
It could be the SSD, I doubt it though.

Unless its a real old SSD, I have a few OCZ models that are actually slower than a HDD when it comes to writes and reads which can be an issue in some situations, but its responsiveness is still way faster than any HDD out there. I'd do a speed test on that SSD with Crystal Disk Mark and just see what kind of speeds that you are getting, if anything move the game to a different drive even if its a HDD and see if its acts the same way.

Crystal Disk Mark: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskMarkInstaller
Okey so i did the test and here is what i got:

The writes are pretty low, so it must be a older model of SSD, If you have a HDD or a faster SSD I would try to move the game to it and see if it improves, although I don't think Red dead 2 would really need a crazy amount of write speed, newer HDD's typically get around 150mb/s or more reads or so it could be worth a shot to try it on a different drive.

Jul 10, 2022
The writes are pretty low, so it must be a older model of SSD, If you have a HDD or a faster SSD I would try to move the game to it and see if it improves, although I don't think Red dead 2 would really need a crazy amount of write speed, newer HDD's typically get around 150mb/s or more reads or so it could be worth a shot to try it on a different drive.
I mean it's an Apacer as340,i don't think it's that old,however i checked it's write speeds on the internet and it should be around 500MB/s,probably it is something with my ssd,i'll try to move the game to my HDD and see if it helps.Also,as far as i am concerned,some files from the games that are installed on an hdd are still stored on the C drive(my SSD) so if the problem won't go off,should i consider buying a new SSD?

I mean it's an Apacer as340,i don't think it's that old,however i checked it's write speeds on the internet and it should be around 500MB/s,probably it is something with my ssd,i'll try to move the game to my HDD and see if it helps.Also,as far as i am concerned,some files from the games that are installed on an hdd are still stored on the C drive(my SSD) so if the problem won't go off,should i consider buying a new SSD?
Well some files yes will still be stored on C, but its not anything like assets or textures, its mostly loading and saving your game on C and the rockstar launcher, If it works on the HDD with no issues, I would definitely say its the SSD, them SSD's seen some forums their performance is kind of all over the place, its like some of them do great some don't, I mean if this is the only game thats doing it thats on that SSD, Idk if I'd get a new one myself if you can deal with a slower loading, but there are many cheaper decent options out there now.

You can try a different sata port on your motherboard and see if the write speed increases, but I doubt it will do much since your read speeds are pretty much maxing out what Sata III can do which is good but Idk why your writes would be that low, that SSD still sound be good for other games, the write speed could be an issue with some games like Red Dead, but fine with others.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Yagan_120gb
Jul 10, 2022
Well some files yes will still be stored on C, but its not anything like assets or textures, its mostly loading and saving your game on C and the rockstar launcher, If it works on the HDD with no issues, I would definitely say its the SSD, them SSD's seen some forums their performance is kind of all over the place, its like some of them do great some don't, I mean if this is the only game thats doing it thats on that SSD, Idk if I'd get a new one myself if you can deal with a slower loading, but there are many cheaper decent options out there now.

You can try a different sata port on your motherboard and see if the write speed increases, but I doubt it will do much since your read speeds are pretty much maxing out what Sata III can do which is good but Idk why your writes would be that low, that SSD still sound be good for other games, the write speed could be an issue with some games like Red Dead, but fine with others.

Good Luck!
Yeah,it only happens in rdr.
Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Viking2121