Red Dragon RX 580 V2 Overclock

ahmetulusoy3858

Prominent
Nov 15, 2018
Hi, I recently bought an AXRX 580 8GBD5-3DHDV2/OC model Rx 580 graphic card. I could not find a persuasive review about the card. I can overclock the card frequency from 1350 mhz to 1450 mhz. Temps are looking good in games. I did not change voltage or any other variables. But some reviews about the card suggest that overclock capacity of this card is very low, even not stable at stock speeds. So, if you are using this card and have an experience about overclocking the card, can u give me any suggestion about it.

Solution
AFAIK it's up to the manufacturer (Powercolor in this case) to bin their chips if they so desire, and the models carrying the highest factory OCs are more likely to be the cream of the crop IFF they're binning simply because the manufacturer needs to be able to guarantee the cards sold under that particular SKU will hit their advertised clockspeeds. Other than that, everyone is still playing the chip lottery regardless of binning. Most chips (CPU or GPU) can clock higher than the manufacturer guarantees, but the variable is how much higher.

Related to the OC headroom of various vendors, that mostly comes down to the thermal solution used. If you've got a card with poor/no VRM or VRAM cooling, or less/no heatpipes, or less fins, or...
AFAIK it's up to the manufacturer (Powercolor in this case) to bin their chips if they so desire, and the models carrying the highest factory OCs are more likely to be the cream of the crop IFF they're binning simply because the manufacturer needs to be able to guarantee the cards sold under that particular SKU will hit their advertised clockspeeds. Other than that, everyone is still playing the chip lottery regardless of binning. Most chips (CPU or GPU) can clock higher than the manufacturer guarantees, but the variable is how much higher.

Related to the OC headroom of various vendors, that mostly comes down to the thermal solution used. If you've got a card with poor/no VRM or VRAM cooling, or less/no heatpipes, or less fins, or less/smaller fans, that can affect how high you can push your particular card from a thermal limitation standpoint.

GloFo's 14nm process hits a voltage "sweet spot" at around 945mV. Above that, the slope of the voltage/frequency curve is steeper. If I were you I'd concern myself more with power saving features like Frame Rate Target Control and manual voltage settings (undervolting) than seeing how high you can push your clocks/power usage/heat/noise.

For reference, my RX480 does 1305MHz at 1020mV.

Solution