[SOLVED] Red light optical mouse vs no light optical mouse

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
Since many years ago, I've been using a cable optical mouse that have a red light lamp on the bottom. It works very well. Recently, I changed to a wireless optical mouse. There is no (visible) light on the bottom, so it will not dazzle my eye. However, this no-light wireless optical mouse does not work properly all the time. Sometimes the pointer just quivers on the screen even I moves the mouse normally. So I threw it away and went back to my previous cable optical mouse that have a red light lamp on the bottom, because it is working more reliably. My question is, what is the technical key words that describe this "red light" that I can use to search on eBay or Amazon for a replacement in case the current one I am using dies some day. Thank you.

PS: maybe the no-light mouse quivers just because it is wireless. I don't know. You are welcomed to give your opinion. If so, I would stick to cable mouse in the future.

Solution
Yes - certainly try a different surface.

And I will ask which wireless Logitech mouse model?

Was it a standalone mouse or part of a keyboard/mouse package?

Did you try new batteries?

One of the first things I do with wireless devices is to swap in new batteries from a well known manufacturer versus the generic, low end batteries that are gratuitously included with the purchased device. I may wait a few days or so but not much longer than that. Some low quality batteries can start leaking pretty quickly.

I have purchased 2 or 3 wireless Logi keyboard/mouse combos over the last few years. The drivers and SetPoint software have proven to be a bit problematic.

Plus Logitech has two "packages": Setpoint and Logitech...

kanewolf

Titan
Since many years ago, I've been using a cable optical mouse that have a red light lamp on the bottom. It works very well. Recently, I changed to a wireless optical mouse. There is no (visible) light on the bottom, so it will not dazzle my eye. However, this no-light wireless optical mouse does not work properly all the time. Sometimes the pointer just quivers on the screen even I moves the mouse normally. So I threw it away and went back to my previous cable optical mouse that have a red light lamp on the bottom, because it is working more reliably. My question is, what is the technical key words that describe this "red light" that I can use to search on eBay or Amazon for a replacement in case the current one I am using dies some day. Thank you.

PS: maybe the no-light mouse quivers just because it is wireless. I don't know. You are welcomed to give your opinion. If so, I would stick to cable mouse in the future.
It might be the surface you have under the "no light" mouse. Try a piece of plain white paper or a purpose made mouse pad.

There's no technical key word, because it's basically the same idea just implemented differently. Optical mice that seem to produce no light are using infrared (you can see it if you look at it through your phone camera). There's also no technical advantage on the sensing side between using infrared or something in the visible spectrum. So you may have had gotten a bum mouse.

zzzhhh

Honorable
May 13, 2018
There's no technical key word, because it's basically the same idea just implemented differently. Optical mice that seem to produce no light are using infrared (you can see it if you look at it through your phone camera). There's also no technical advantage on the sensing side between using infrared or something in the visible spectrum. So you may have had gotten a bum mouse.
Thanks. The bum wireless mouse I got is famous Logitech while the cable mouse that has worked reliably for many years is a completely unknown brand, INSIGNIA. Maybe this is the key word I should stick to.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - certainly try a different surface.

And I will ask which wireless Logitech mouse model?

Was it a standalone mouse or part of a keyboard/mouse package?

Did you try new batteries?

One of the first things I do with wireless devices is to swap in new batteries from a well known manufacturer versus the generic, low end batteries that are gratuitously included with the purchased device. I may wait a few days or so but not much longer than that. Some low quality batteries can start leaking pretty quickly.

I have purchased 2 or 3 wireless Logi keyboard/mouse combos over the last few years. The drivers and SetPoint software have proven to be a bit problematic.

Plus Logitech has two "packages": Setpoint and Logitech Gaming Software (LGS). They are not interchangeable as I understand it.

That is why I asked about the mouse model - G Series?

Solution