Question RED QLED ON ASUS MOTHERBOARD

aljo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Hey, I had this problem since november. So it's gonna be a long story.
One day, after a normal shutdown in the evening, I tried to boot my pc. It didn't turn on. Got a friend to come over and swap every component except for mobo and CPU. We tried every part with his system and it worked every time. So we determined the fault was with the motherboard or the processor. Fast forward a few days. I send the cpu back to AMD for a RMA. They sent me a NEW one back a few days later. I put it in my pc and it still didn't boot. With that I figured it has to be the motherboard. Sent that back for the RMA (to asus) and they returned it and said that it's working.
With that I thought AMD might have sent me a faulty processor. But before I sent the new one back I went to a local pc repair shop and we switched this (second) processor into a system there. That one didn't boot. We put another 5800x into my mobo and it worked.
Now I sent back the processor and received a new one today in the mail. SEALED NEW. I put it in the system, excited to play some games, do school work etc but in the end the same error appeared.
The fans spin, the leds in the gpu and rams are on. But the red qled on the mobo doesn't go away and neither does the pc boot. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be highly appreciated. I'm lost.

Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x
MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
GPU - ASUS 1080
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB (32GB) 3600mHZ
PSU - Corsair RM850x, 850Watt 80plus gold
Storage - a 250gb m.2 (with os), 2x 500gb SSD, and a 2tb hdd

Oct 22, 2022
Try to do the following:
- Start the PC with one stick of RAM only
or
- Check if (Mainly) the CPU and other components raise on temperature when the PC is turned on.

If fans start spinning and everything turns on, but temperature on the CPU heatsink doesn't raise, it might mean the problem is the motherboard. If not, have you considered that it could be the PSU not providing enough energy to the system?

aljo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Try to do the following:
- Start the PC with one stick of RAM only
or
- Check if (Mainly) the CPU and other components raise on temperature when the PC is turned on.

If fans start spinning and everything turns on, but temperature on the CPU heatsink doesn't raise, it might mean the problem is the motherboard. If not, have you considered that it could be the PSU not providing enough energy to the system?
Thanks for the reply! I did try starting the pc with only one stick of ram. Didn't work. Can't check the temps with any software cause the pc doesn't boot. I will try to run it for a minute or two and see if it turns out to be warmer.
The pc with the first CPU worked for about half a year with no problems. I had a 650w psu in it and it worked. I bought a new one with 850w cause I thought that might be the problem at first. But it's not.

Thanks for the reply! I did try starting the pc with only one stick of ram. Didn't work. Can't check the temps with any software cause the pc doesn't boot. I will try to run it for a minute or two and see if it turns out to be warmer.
The pc with the first CPU worked for about half a year with no problems. I had a 650w psu in it and it worked. I bought a new one with 850w cause I thought that might be the problem at first. But it's not.
Can you get to BIOS? What version of BIOS are you on? I would highly suspect that motherboard, whatever the exact reason may be. The odds of a CPU failing are very low. The odds of 2-3 CPUs failing are almost exclusively zero. The motherboard or PSU could be killing the CPUs, if the are in fact dying.

Oct 22, 2022
Aye, you can try that by directly touching the CPU's heatsink. Of course you'd burn yourself if you wait too much to touch it, but give it a try. As the person above said, I'm blaming the motherboard too, even if they said it was OK, but it's still weird that one of 3 processors worked fine

aljo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Can you get to BIOS? What version of BIOS are you on? I would highly suspect that motherboard, whatever the exact reason may be. The odds of a CPU failing are very low. The odds of 2-3 CPUs failing are almost exclusively zero. The motherboard or PSU could be killing the CPUs, if the are in fact dying.
I can not get to the bios, but I tried running 3 different versions via the BIOS usb slot. Currently have the newest ones from november/december. I am suspecting the motherboard also, because the chances of the cpu failing are slim and me getting 2 NEW cpus that don't work straight from amd is less than 0. But I don't know why the pc repair shop and ASUS both would say the motherboard is working.

I can not get to the bios, but I tried running 3 different versions via the BIOS usb slot. Currently have the newest ones from november/december. I am suspecting the motherboard also, because the chances of the cpu failing are slim and me getting 2 NEW cpus that don't work straight from amd is less than 0. But I don't know why the pc repair shop and ASUS both would say the motherboard is working.
I would have that repair shop look at the pc get it working and stress tested in front of you on windows. If a PC works at a shop but not your house, that can mean many things. When you say that it worked at the PC repair shop what exactly do you mean by "worked?"