Question Red underlined words when writing in English on Italian Windows (SOLVED)

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm Italian and my Windows 11 is set to Italian language, and when I type on the web - just like now - it is underlining the words in red. I have already disabled all possible spell checker settings in Windows setting, but still...
Any idea how to get rid of the annoying underlining, please?
Thanks

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Following on from what SkyNet said, if you right-click on an annoying spelling "error" then there should be an option to turn off the spell check. Or if not, check your browser's settings and the option will be there somewhere.

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Vivaldi is packed with tons of settings, but nothing related to spell-checker. I can't find anything. On the web it shows to right-click on a red underlined word but it does nothing. I'm not so sure this issue is browser related :unsure:

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
@SkyNetRising By typing into Telegram for desktop there is not underlining, so I guess you're right. Still, there is nothing related to spell-checker into Vivaldi's settings. I typed "spell" into the setting search field and nothing came up.

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
I have set Windows in English and so are all the menus in Vivaldi and rebooted the system, nevertheless it's still underlining here. I don't know how to fix this. It's annoying.

Ralston18

Titan
Experiment here a bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-editor/grammar-checker

Type a sentence or two in English.

Then do the same using Italian.

Another way to help figure out what may be happening is to make some deliberate, controlled mistakes.

See how the "editor" (be it OS, Browser, or website) responds.

If you can figure out what is actually happening to cause the red underling then that may help discover the "fix".

Reactions: TheFlyingCelt

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Experiment here a bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-editor/grammar-checker

Type a sentence or two in English.

Then do the same using Italian.

Another way to help figure out what may be happening is to make some deliberate, controlled mistakes.

See how the "editor" (be it OS, Browser, or website) responds.

If you can figure out what is actually happening to cause the red underling then that may help discover the "fix".
The Microsoft link you provided to me is not underlining anything. Keep in mind that I have set the system to English now. It looks like it is happening here on Tom's only, but I'm not sure. I'm very confused.
Let me try to add a screenshot to show you what it looks like.

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
I've just tried to type into a text form on Microsoft Answers, and it underlines there too if I write in English, but not in Italian. This, despite having my system in English now, and having all spell-checkers in Windows settings on "off" and having installed both languages on my ststem (Italian and English) with their speech recognition and stuff, although on "off".
When I write in Italian, it won't underline.

Ralston18

Titan
This, despite having my system in English now, and having all spell-checkers in Windows settings on "off" and having installed both languages on my ststem (Italian and English) with their speech recognition and stuff, although on "off".
Let me repeat you one more time.
That is not a windows setting.
Change spellchecker settings in vivaldi browser settings.
  • Right-click in a text input field to open the context menu.
  • Select Spell check.
  • Click on Use basic spell check to toggle the feature on or off.
1675202128495-languages-option-missing-in-settings-window-example.png

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
Buddy, there's nothing related to spell-checker. Language, Spell, Checker... I went through all the settings and there is nothing but the preferred languages to choose from when browsing.

TheFlyingCelt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2015
I get absolutely nothing.
Are you taking screenshots from your own PC or images from the internet? I'm asking you because those might be related to an old version of Vivaldi.
Note: My mouse is working like a charm. Right-click works everywhere.