[SOLVED] Red vertical lines on first boot with MSI GTX 1050 Ti ?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, today updated the gpu from gt 1030 to a GTX 1050 Ti. Need to test it since, the shop had a promotional 3 day replacement warranty. If the card does not work, they will replace it.

Well, on the first boot, I saw a black screen with red vertical lines. Restarted, able to get to the desktop, able to install drivers. Encountered no more problems after that.

Is this red screen on first boot something to worry about or is it normal when the GPU is first used ?

anyway, things seem fine now.

Solution
could have been multiple things, bad/loose cable, the card trying to use the old 1030 drivers before you installed the correct ones. Did you use DDU to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones?

Link to DDU

I would run it through some benchmarks just to stress it a little to make sure everything is fine
Unigine Heaven LINK
Steam has a free version of 3d mark

Lutfij

Titan
A picture to illustrate what you're seeing would be a good idea. Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing the GT1030 and dropping in the GTX1050Ti? Source the latest GPU driver for the new GPU from Nvidia's support site. Install said driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Reactions: Tac 25
could have been multiple things, bad/loose cable, the card trying to use the old 1030 drivers before you installed the correct ones. Did you use DDU to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones?

Link to DDU

I would run it through some benchmarks just to stress it a little to make sure everything is fine
Unigine Heaven LINK
Steam has a free version of 3d mark

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@Lutfij

psu is a P-Ful 600W, it's made in korea. It's only about 3 or 4 months old.

sorry, don't have picture... can only describe them, the red vertical lines are about 1/4 inch thick, and are like birdcage bars on the monitor. However, it did not appear again after I booted a second time. Typing now from the pc with the 1050ti.

the gpu is properly seated on the mobo, dvi cable firmly attached, and this is the gpu z screenshot.

yxll6x.gif

unfortunately... did not have DDU.

this is how I did the install.

1. With power turned off, removed the GT 1030 and put in the GTX 1050ti.
  2. Booted.. encountered black screen with vertical red bars, each bar about 1/4 inch thick, and arranged like when you look at an animal cage.
  3. Restarted. No more red bars. Got to the desktop.
  4. Did not uninstall GT 1030 drivers, I just put the 1050ti drivers on top of it.
  5. Restarted. Things seem ok.
  6. Geforce Experience updated the 1050ti to the latest drivers.

Last edited: