News Redditor creates RTX 4090: Noctua Edition with 3D-printed shroud and Noctua NF-A9 fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A type of plastic, it starts to soften up around 60C, not ideal for use in applications where heat will be present but is commonly used in 3D printers because it solidifies rapidly. Might be okay here since it is just holding up the the fans, doesn't seem to be in much contact with the heatsink.

ABS is another common one, the same stuff Lego is made of. PETG, which you may be familiar with as one of the common hard tubing choices for custom water cooling is another.

And there are many more types with different uses and applications. And others that have reinforcement in the form of additives, like fiber glass or carbon.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
While not a fan of the classic Noctua color scheme (pun intended), I have to admit he did a decent job. I think I would have sanded the shroud more and or painted it but to each their own. I can see the appeal of the rougher aesthetic as well.

A type of plastic, it starts to soften up around 60C, not ideal for use in applications where heat will be present but is commonly used in 3D printers because it solidifies rapidly. Might be okay here since it is just holding up the the fans, doesn't seem to be in much contact with the heatsink.

ABS is another common one, the same stuff Lego is made of. PETG, which you may be familiar with as one of the common hard tubing choices for custom water cooling is another.

And there are many more types with different uses and applications. And others that have reinforcement in the form of additives, like fiber glass or carbon.
I am familiar with ABS and PBT plastics because of my foray into custom keyboards, just never heard of PLA, though I assumed it was some sort of plastic. Good to know that it is not very tolerant of higher temperature environments.

USAFRet

Titan
I am familiar with ABS and PBT plastics because of my foray into custom keyboards, just never heard of PLA, though I assumed it was some sort of plastic. Good to know that it is not very tolerant of higher temperature environments.
In the 3d print world, PLA - Polylactic acid.

Good for regular parts, but not something exposed to heat.

I printed a switch panel for my car. It has warped a little bit, just from the sun.
New one in ABS when I get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.