Redesigned Apple iMacs Available This Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]Not by Zak Islam..?Well, looks like the world just divided itself by zero.[/citation]
Maybe he is too busy refreshing the play store for his secret nexus 4 :p

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Thinner or not, iMac from the late 2009 period to present day have a notorious fogging issues cause by improper sealing of the LCD screen. Outside of a sterile room, in a matter of months the screen would develop spots and would require dis-assembly. At least that issue i hope has been fixed.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]"Taper the edges, say it's thinner. Those idiots will eat it up."[/citation]

And pull the optical drive, too. Those things cost us, what, 6 dollars a pop? That's an easy 6 bucks right there.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]And pull the optical drive, too. Those things cost us, what, 6 dollars a pop? That's an easy 6 bucks right there.[/citation]
Makes it thicker. They are a frustrating mechanical point of failure in an otherwise already difficult to repair form-factor. You can add a USB CD/DVD drive if it makes you happy...
Honestly, optical media can't die fast enough...

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Still ship recovery disks and sell all applications on disks, charge $120 for an external thunderbolt optical drive, and make yourself $114 profit each...well with R/D costs $113.99.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]No-one needs a thin desktop anyway.[/citation]

While it's hard to say who needs what type of configuration, I would argue that schools in particular may have a lab of computers used running on the Apple platform.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Makes it thicker. They are a frustrating mechanical point of failure in an otherwise already difficult to repair form-factor. You can add a USB CD/DVD drive if it makes you happy...Honestly, optical media can't die fast enough...[/citation]

Seriously, when did you have the last CD/DVD drive fail?
I do not recall ever having one fail on me and I work on half a dozen computers 7 days a week (and that even includes an Apple Notebook /shame/ for Website testing).

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Seriously, when did you have the last CD/DVD drive fail?I do not recall ever having one fail on me and I work on half a dozen computers 7 days a week (and that even includes an Apple Notebook /shame/ for Website testing).[/citation]I've had several fail over the years but only on desktops. The primary problem is the belt on the loader motor wearing out. It transfers enough torque to load the disc but not engage the pick-up mechanism fully so the head is at the wrong distance. It's possible to replace the belt but usually not worth the effort. I rarely use optical discs any more.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Both models also come with Apple's new Fusion drive, which combines HDD and SSD technolgoy in a single storage drive.

Another Apple first.................

Apple redesigned the AIO from the outside, too. The skinniest iMac yet, the all-in-one carries over that razor thin aesthetic from the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines and measures just 5mm thin at its edge.

Its thinker in the middle than the old Imac's........ Guess they forgot to mention that.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Seriously, when did you have the last CD/DVD drive fail?I do not recall ever having one fail on me and I work on half a dozen computers 7 days a week (and that even includes an Apple Notebook /shame/ for Website testing).[/citation]
Between the lens getting so dirty/scratched it can't read disks and the motors failing on laptop drives, for both the head and the rotator, it is a common enough issue for a commonly not used component that it makes more sense to use an external drive when it is needed, and easily, cheaply replaced when they fail, rather than an internal component on a mac (which are notoriously difficult to fix anyways).

And my hate for optical media is directed more at the media itself rather than the noisy slow drives (issues I can live with if it worked). Even the act of inserting a CD can cause the spindle area of the disk to crack. Even tiny hairline, imperceptible scratched can cause the media to fail, and rewritable media is so unstable that even a disk burned and verified 10 minutes earlier can degrade to the point of producing cyclic redundancy errors... People should be discouraged from using such a poor medium. If you need it, you can USB it.

kajunchicken

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Since when was HDD + SSD a new technology... Last time I checked, those have been in Ultrabooks for years.

Of course, apple probably does it better than an ultrabook... using it's ultra new SATA II configuration.

*Cough* *Cough*

If you like apple so much... make a hackintosh.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Between the lens getting so dirty/scratched it can't read disks and the motors failing on laptop drives, for both the head and the rotator, it is a common enough issue for a commonly not used component that it makes more sense to use an external drive when it is needed, and easily, cheaply replaced when they fail, rather than an internal component on a mac (which are notoriously difficult to fix anyways). And my hate for optical media is directed more at the media itself rather than the noisy slow drives (issues I can live with if it worked). Even the act of inserting a CD can cause the spindle area of the disk to crack. Even tiny hairline, imperceptible scratched can cause the media to fail, and rewritable media is so unstable that even a disk burned and verified 10 minutes earlier can degrade to the point of producing cyclic redundancy errors... People should be discouraged from using such a poor medium. If you need it, you can USB it.[/citation]

As of a year ago, I'm anticipating CD/DVDs to be replaced by SD cards. Smaller, holds more data and has the potential to be as fast as SSDs with USB 3 technology. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for this change.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]kajunchicken[/nom]Since when was HDD + SSD a new technology... Last time I checked, those have been in Ultrabooks for years.Of course, apple probably does it better than an ultrabook... using it's ultra new SATA II configuration.*Cough* *Cough*If you like apple so much... make a hackintosh.[/citation]

The Fusion drive and the hybrid drive offer similar benefits but they're not exactly the same technology.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]kajunchicken[/nom]Since when was HDD + SSD a new technology... Last time I checked, those have been in Ultrabooks for years.Of course, apple probably does it better than an ultrabook... using it's ultra new SATA II configuration.*Cough* *Cough*If you like apple so much... make a hackintosh.[/citation]

The tech itself isn't new. The implementation is. Hybrid drives typically don't have more than 4 GB of SSD in them.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Between the lens getting so dirty/scratched it can't read disks and the motors failing on laptop drives, for both the head and the rotator, it is a common enough issue for a commonly not used component that it makes more sense to use an external drive when it is needed, and easily, cheaply replaced when they fail, rather than an internal component on a mac (which are notoriously difficult to fix anyways). And my hate for optical media is directed more at the media itself rather than the noisy slow drives (issues I can live with if it worked). Even the act of inserting a CD can cause the spindle area of the disk to crack. Even tiny hairline, imperceptible scratched can cause the media to fail, and rewritable media is so unstable that even a disk burned and verified 10 minutes earlier can degrade to the point of producing cyclic redundancy errors... People should be discouraged from using such a poor medium. If you need it, you can USB it.[/citation]

What the hell do you do to your disks??? You crack disks by putting them in the drive? How on earth...Wth?

Status
Not open for further replies.