Discussion Redmibook Pro 14 - 2024 Owner..... AMA?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I struggled to find much about this laptop while I was looking - so figured I'd post this thread to assist others.

Long story short, I was in the market for a new laptop - replacing an XPS 15 9520 (i7-12700H, 32GB, RTX3050) and a temporary Surface Laptop Go, downsizing a little - and I was intrigued by the Core Ultra lineup.
Reviews of the XPS 14 were.... underwhelming, and the pricepoint even more so!

After spending a bit of time shopping around, I stumbled across the Redmibook Pro 14 from Aliexpress.
Core Ultra 7 155H
32GB RAM (7467 Mhz)
1TB SSD
2880x1800 panel, adaptive refresh 48-120Hz
80wH battery
Solid IO (HDMI, 1x USB-C, 1x TB4, 2x USB-A)

Realistically, it checked all the boxes I was looking for and gave me some IO I'll likely never use (coming from an XPS and Surface, USB-C & dongles are already part of my workflow).

Overall impressions:
  • Solid build quality
    • Underside panel is maybe a little flimsy, but it's the underside.
      • I haven't opened the laptop up yet, but I suspect some support in the middle would fix this - a thermal pad on top of something (TBD) would likely fix the minor issue
    • Chassis itself is rock solid.
    • Passed the one finger open test with ease... hinge opens ~180'
    • Panel has a bezel over top - at this point I'm used to glass fronted displays, so this feels a little bit 'cheaper'
    • Sizeable 'feet' on the underside - one continuous across the back side, two small feel at the front.
  • Cool & quiet - even under stress testing the machine, the fans are pretty quiet.
    • Edge of the chassis near the display gets a noticeable warm to the touch, but nothing too crazy.
  • Keyboard is more than serviceable
  • the trackpad, a little less so. It's 'fine', but if you're coming from an Macbook (or maybe XPS in the Windows realm, it's noticeably 'worse'). Theres a little 'wobble' in the trackpad. Left click is fine, right click is a little inconsistent, requiring a bit more force than you'd expect. I use gestures/two finger tap though, without issue.
  • Software.... I can't comment too much. Shipped with a user profile set up, Windows 11 Enterprise - Chinese region variant, with English language pack.
    • First thing I did (after verifying specs etc, before connecting to the internet) was wipe the drive and reinstall W11 Pro with a key I already had.
  • 100W GAN USB-C charger supplied.
    • I haven't used the charger, I have plenty chargers laying around already - but it does look to be more bulky than your 'premium' GAN chargers of similar wattage (Anker, UGreen, etc)
  • 24hours of use, battery life appears to be as expected. ~12 hours of general 'office' type use - emails, browser work etc, at ~80% brightness.
  • Very quick gaming test (Friday the 13th w/bots) saw ~35FPS at native resolution/High settings. ~45FPS at 1080p/High, ~70FPS at 1080p/Low.
    • Battery did drain pretty quickly in this quick 'test'. ~30 mins of gameplay and ~23% reduction in battery (from fully charged)
    • Fan was audible, but barely. CPU temps in the mid 70s.
Overall, definitely feels like what it is - a Macbook clone, running Windows.

From what little I could find in terms of reviews (YT videos from Russian language channels), the 14 and 16 variants are extremely similar, beyond the spec differences (increased display resolution and 130W charger, mostly) - so happy to answer any questions, should anybody stumble across this post.

....AMA.

Redmibook Pro 14 and outgoing Surface Laptop Go (12.5" display) for scale.

PXL-20240409-225441324.jpg

Last edited:

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
Questions:

. Cost?

. Warranty? (I'm assumning you aren't in China) Do you need to ship it back to China for warranty? At your cost? If yes, how much would return shipping be?

. Does Redmi have a driver support page in English? Is driver support ongoing, or is it one-time (at launch) only?

. From my perusing of Redmi Book Pro 14's specs, screen has only 300 nits brightness. True?

. Why 120Hz refresh when IGP can't get above 60 fps for games?

Edit:

. Weight?

. RAM soldered or socketed? Can you go 64GB?

. How many M.2 slots for SSD?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barty1884

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Questions:

COST
I paid $1,234 CAD and about $80 in tax/import duties. Around $1,300 CAD to my door (say $950 USD, 890 EUR, £760)
This was during Aliexpress' "anniversary sale" however, which was the main reason I pulled the trigger despite being able to do minimal research. Usual retail is around $1650 CAD ($1200 USD, 1130 EUR, £965)

For reference, the other laptops I was considering were:
XPS 14 (~$2800+Tax with comparable specs)
GalaxyBook4 ($2400+Tax with only 16GB RAM / 512GB storage)

WARRANTY

I'm in Canada, so I'm essentially treating as no warranty - beyond the standard DOA or blatant defects upon receipt - via Aliexpress. Technically, there is a "2 year warranty" claim - but I've had no reason to explore thus far and frankly, wouldn't expect it to be economical for all but the most catastrophic issues. I'd fully expect to be the better part of $250 CAD in shipping *if* I had to explore this route.

DRIVERS

Driver site - not in English, although Google translate does a solid job.
https://www.mi.com/service/notebook/drivers/N57
As for ongoing support, it's impossible to say with 100% certainty - from a few other laptops I checked out on the site though, there does appear to be ~2 years, at a minimum of BIOS/Driver updates. Windows update will handle 99% of the driver requirements anyway, and I've very little interest in any of their "software" offerings - so we're really down to BIOS updates only. 2 years is a little on the low side, but nothing dealbreaking for me, for the price.

BRIGHTNESS

I've no way to verify the screen brightness (that I'm aware of), but there's a claimed 400 nits (14") and 500 nits (16").
For the 14, it's definitely brighter than my Surface Laptop Go (I think I saw 320 nits tested) and a less than my XPS 9520 (500 nits). I'd deduce 400 nits is probably a reasonably accurate claim. Windows is not reporting the "peak" nits I've seen some other panels do.

REFRESH RATE

For the refresh, I guess it's a matter of opinion (and marketing). It is more noticeably "smooth" in regular use than the Surface Laptop Go or the XPS - both with 60Hz panels. Depending on the game/resolution, you can certainly push >60Hz, but it's not a gaming machine. I did notice, most of the 'premium' Core Ultra laptops are shipping with >60Hz panels now regardless.

WEIGHT

Using my kitchen scale, the laptop measures 3.3lbs / 1.5kg - vs a claimed 1.46kg on the Redmi site.

RAM

RAM is soldered - and the Core Ultra 7 variant only comes with 32GB & 1TB storage, no way to upgrade/downgrade either at time of purchase. The Ultra 5 has 16/512 and 32/1TB options

M.2 SLOTS

I haven't taken the bottom panel off (yet), so can't confirm M.2 slots right now - as I'm currently using the laptop. From a few teardowns I found of prior models, it looks like the 16" *may* have two - although not full 2280 slots. I believe the YMTC PC300 (reported in this 14") drive comes in both 2280 and 2242 form factors, so I'll report back when I open this up.
I fully expect to see a single M.2 slot and 2242 form factor - but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: baboma

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
Thanks for the additional info. Your risk tolerance is much higher than mine, making a major purchase from China w/o warranty or support.

As comparison, I bought an Acer Swift Go 14, which is eerily similar to the RedmiiBook pro 14 (and 16) in both design and specs. Costco had it on sale for USD$700 (now $800). It had a fatal problem of not recognizing the internal SSD when booting from USB, making clean Win install impossible. I returned it and bought a Swift Edge 16 OLED instead for $600, also from Costco.

In perusing Costco.ca, the same Swift Go 14 (Ultra 7) model is selling for $1500, vs the US' $800.

Canada:
https://costco.ca/acer-swift-go-14-in.-touchscreen-intel-evo-laptop,-intel-core-ultra-7-155h---16gb-ram,-1tb-ssd,-intel-arc.product.4000240039.html

US:
https://costco.com/acer-swift-go-14”-touchscreen-laptop-intel-evo-edition-powered-by-intel-core-ultra-7-processor-155h---lcd-1920-x-1200---windows-11.product.4000237600.html

Wow. Big difference. So I'm starting to understand why you opted for a Chinese buy sans warranty.

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>Yeah, likely a big price factor.

To be fair, CAD->USD conversion would change USD$800 to ~CAD$1100, so it's not as stark as at first blush. Even so, you guys are paying a hefty premium. Aussies, too, AFAIK.

Speaking of which, I'm starting to see good sales on Ryzen 7040-series laptops, with 8040 products coming to market. Both have same 780M IGP, which is on par with MTL IGP. Both HP Pavilion & Acer Swift lines use 7040 Ryzens...but their build quality isn't the best. I favor Lenovo ThinkBook for build quality...but their tech adoption rate is one cycle behind everybody else. Trade-offs.

You won't catch me buying Dell XPS. They're overpriced. Plus, they nerfed the F-keys to copy Apple's Touch Bar. I was looking at the XPS 13 Plus, which (like MBA) is limited to 2 USB-C. The previous XPS 13 had F-keys, but storage was non-upgradeable. It's like Dell is copying all the worst traits of the Mac.

>Interesting on the USB front - did you ever try dropping the chip set drive on the USB? The 'no drive' to install to has been around a while now...

You mean adding chipset driver? No, I didn't think of that. It would've been a major hassle regardless, as I do a lot of stuff with USB boot keys, eg image backups, so adding chipset driver to all of those would be non-trivial. That, and it was just easier to return it. Thanks for the tip all the same.

Reactions: Barty1884
May 19, 2024
Hi, I watched some Chinese reviews on YouTube and saw that there is a Xiaomi app in which you can switch performance modes (there are 4 different ones). Is it possible to use and change these modes without installing that bloatware?

Can you change the power limits in the Intel app for the Arc GPU?

Does the BIOS allow any settings changes, like power limits, fan curve, etc.?

What are the biggest drawbacks of this hardware?

Did you try to run linux on it :)?

Screen is glossy or mat?

Can you charge it with both usb-c ports?

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I haven't been able to alter the profiles (other than Windows, obviously) and haven't resorted to trying to install the Xiaomi app.... yet.

I hadn't installed the ARC Control software - doing so now and will report back tomorrow.
*EDIT* There are no power limit controls presented for the iGP

BIOS is extremely limited, no such options exist.

In terms of drawbacks... I'm not a huge fan of the keyboard, feels a bit spongy. The trackpad is solid, but the left click leaves a little to be desired (if you're a gesture type of person, there's no such issue)..... and personal preference, I'm not a huge fan of the raised plastic bezel around the display - I much prefer the glass topped found on my Surface Laptop Go, or old XPS 13/15 etc - although suspect that's more to do with the "touch" functionality that existed on those machines.

I have not tried Linux at all, no.

It's a matte display. This is the panel:
https://www.panelook.com/MNE007ZA3-2_CSOT_14.0_LCM_parameter_62478.html

Only one of the USB-C ports is charging. Inconveniently, it's NOT the one nearest the rear of the machine.

Windows update has notified me of an available firmware update (1.8.1.8), going to try to decipher what it's for before installing.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024
Thank You for detailed answer! I've already order this laptop, so after getting my hands on it I'll post my opinion, and missing answers.
I'm a bit concerned about charging from a single port info. In the review of the 16-inch version on Notebookcheck, it says that both USB-C ports support charging and DisplayPort, which might be important for me. It's weird that there is difference in port config between versions.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thank You for detailed answer! I've already order this laptop, so after getting my hands on it I'll post my opinion, and missing answers.
I'm a bit concerned about charging from a single port info. In the review of the 16-inch version on Notebookcheck, it says that both USB-C ports support charging and DisplayPort, which might be important for me. It's weird that there is difference in port config between versions.
Yeah, I believe I read both support charging - but in actuality, while the indicator flickers when connected to the rearmost, it doesn't 'actual' charge.

Interestingly, I couldn't find much on the firmware issue. Installed it anyway, and now dark mode looks very grey & washed out. There is now another optional Windows update for another firmware.... installing that now.

May 19, 2024
In terms of charging you said that you're not using original charger. Maybe the second port work's only with original.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In terms of charging you said that you're not using original charger. Maybe the second port work's only with original.
Certainly possible, although no reason I can think of that would be the case. My charger supports all the charging standards needed for 100W, so unless they're proprietary in some way (Xiaomi phones? Not sure), I'd think probably not.

May 31, 2024
BRIGHTNESS
I've no way to verify the screen brightness (that I'm aware of), but there's a claimed 400 nits (14") and 500 nits (16").
For the 14, it's definitely brighter than my Surface Laptop Go (I think I saw 320 nits tested) and a less than my XPS 9520 (500 nits). I'd deduce 400 nits is probably a reasonably accurate claim. Windows is not reporting the "peak" nits I've seen some other panels do.
Might sound like a weird request, but...
can you check how difficult is reading what's on the screen with the scenario shown below on a sunny day outside?

Link here: Outside_work_scenario

I'm considering Redmibook Pro 14 nad 16 inch version which has even brighter screen.

I currently own old 17,3 inch ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS which according to THIS PAGE has only 300 nits. I was working on it outside yesterday and I was able to see what's on the screen but I had to strain my eyes a lot.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Might sound like a weird request, but...
can you check how difficult is reading what's on the screen with the scenario shown below on a sunny day outside?

Link here: Outside_work_scenario

I'm considering Redmibook Pro 14 nad 16 inch version which has even brighter screen.

I currently own old 17,3 inch ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS which according to THIS PAGE has only 300 nits. I was working on it outside yesterday and I was able to see what's on the screen but I had to strain my eyes a lot.
Actually say like that yesterday. It's maybe a little more strain than I'd like, but it was totally readable.

May 19, 2024
The laptop has arrived, and here are my initial observations: Under Linux (Ubuntu live CD), everything seems to work fine at first glance except for the audio; it does not detect audio outputs, even when I connect through a USB-C DisplayPort hub. In my hub, I can connect two monitors, and both are working: 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz and 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz (though this is the maximum for that monitor). The keys are functioning, the touchpad (two-finger scrolling, touch to click) works, and both WiFi and Bluetooth are operational. Charging also works on two USB-C ports. I haven't booted Windows yet. I'll write more in due time.

Jun 8, 2024
My Redmibook pro 14 arrived this week. Here my two cents for Linux:

- I ordered the chinese version, but could easily switch the BIOS to english (YouTube)
- never booted into windows and directly installed manjaro (Arch) via live-USB. After changing the boot order in the BIOS I downloaded the latest Cinnamon version from the website. I am used to Mint but wanted the latest linux kernel in case the hardware was to new so I tried Manjaro
- WiFi didn't work during/after install, so I connected the notebook via dongle and ethernet to my router.
- once Manjaro was installed I directly updated to the latest non-beta kernel (6.9.2) AND updated all Software packages
- after reboot WiFi worked like a charm
- battery says 30h when fully loaded, but when working I'd says 12h ist realistic for me (it's only been a day or two)
- the screen ist bright enough. Ran at 40% for quite some time before I realized I could go brighter :)
-I'm glad its no glossy screen

Quick benchmark: I compiled a quarkus native application that took ~2 minutes on the redmi but 9 minutes on my old XPS (i7, 8th Gen). The XPS ist unusable during compile job and gets hot. The redmibook does not get hot and can still be used (well, there are nearly a decade between the two CPUs)

I am just a basic Linux user, no pro, so I'm glad I didn't run into any issues (other than the WiFi).

One thing I notices, that in the terminal the keyboard seems to have a delay. No idea why, but system load looks normal. I might have to try some tuning at some point.

For the graphics: I see my desktop and can configure the brightness. Video playback is working as well. For games I can not say.

Thank you to everyone that participated in this post, it helped me to make a descision and take a (small) risk.

Update: after installing Xfce I saw, that 'Cinnamon on Wayland' is marked as Experimental. I guess the default was 'Software Rendering'!! Explains the heavy lagging..
once I logged in using 'Cinnamon on Wayland' the UI fast and smooth as a rocket (assuming rockets are fast and smooth..). No more lagging :)

Last edited:
May 19, 2024
I've been using this laptop for a while now and I must share the satisfaction expressed by others. The build quality is very good, there's not much to complain about, though the design might seem a bit blocky. I had an older Asus Zenbook before, which was slightly larger, but due to its more contoured edges, it felt 'lighter.'

Linux support (Ubuntu 24.04) is very good. I managed to fix an sound issue with an entry in a configuration file*. Currently, only the microphone and camera do not work (or i just don't know how to fix it), but that's not a problem for me as I do not use them. I'm not sure if the fingerprint reader can be activated.

As for performance, it's awesome. I haven't run any benchmarks, but I have many application windows and Chrome tabs open, and it runs smoothly even in power-saving mode (using 10-20w from the wall). During my use (chrome, vscode, docker, office etc), the fans either do not start up or are very quiet. It does become quite loud during stress tests, but not immediately. I launched the game Anno 1800, and it is playable on medium settings on performance mode.

Things that sometimes pose issues with Linux on laptops include:
Hibernation - works
Suspend to RAM - works
Waking from an external keyboard/mouse - works
WIFI - BT - works
Brigthness and auto brightness - works
Palm rejection - works
Power modes - works

(All out of the box)

Initially, I thought it wouldn't be possible to disable secure boot in the BIOS, which can be problematic with Linux, but it is doable after setting a BIOS password.
The BIOS is quite basic, featuring only boot order, passwords, secure boot, USB wake settings, keyboard backlight settings, and maybe some other trivial things I don't recall.

Charging and video output work with both USB-C ports.

I won't comment on the battery since I mostly use it plugged into the charger.

*Settings for enable sound:

options snd_hda_intel dmic_detect=0
options snd_hda_intel dsp_driver=1

in /etc/modprobe.d/disable_dmic.conf