Discussion Redundant data backup solution

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
I have had more than 2 drives fail at the same time in a 16 drive raid6 setup resulting in a very expensive data loss. That is why I am now researching the best way to keep data backed up. Since cloud backup isn't possible due to limited internet availability I was thinking of converting the nas from a server into a very redundant backup system that will back up files from a few computers on the network. Do you think this is a good idea and if so would you use any raid setup or just mirror a bunch of drives or something? I am struggling to think of a better solution especially since I have lately been so reliant on cloud backups in my other applications. How would you make sure your data is backed up safely?

There's a basic rule of backing up I've been trying to follow, the 3-2-1 rule:
  • 3 copies of the data
  • 2 to more physically different media
  • 1 copy off site
The off-site copy can be cloud storage or yet another hard drive stored somewhere away from your home. As far as implementation goes, that depends on how much resources you have.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I have had more than 2 drives fail at the same time in a 16 drive raid6 setup resulting in a very expensive data loss. That is why I am now researching the best way to keep data backed up. Since cloud backup isn't possible due to limited internet availability I was thinking of converting the nas from a server into a very redundant backup system that will back up files from a few computers on the network. Do you think this is a good idea and if so would you use any raid setup or just mirror a bunch of drives or something? I am struggling to think of a better solution especially since I have lately been so reliant on cloud backups in my other applications. How would you make sure your data is backed up safely?
In a situation with a large storage pool, dedicated backup hardware with deduplication is the approach I have used at work. The EMC DD line of hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
If you lost data in that RAID array, it wasn't a true backup.
RAID, of any type, is not a backup.

As above, 3-2-1.
Multiple actual copies.

Scale this up or down as needed:

clkd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Thank you for your input and suggestions. I have done a little bit more research and I believe our 16 bay qnap nas is waaay overkill and was designed more for media streaming , especially since there is about 6tb of data in total and most of it are documents and the occasional image. Also it is a very expensive device that requires a lot of spare hdds and we had the issue of hdds that were originally used in it going out of production.
I think I will replace it with a 4 drive synology NAS running 4x6tb drives in RAID6 which would give us 12tb of space with 50% redundancy. This will be used for redundancy and backup wise I will connect an external 12tb drive to do automatic daily incremental backups. This drive will be rotated weekly with 2 different 12tb drives (3x 12tb drives, every week oldest one gets overwritten). Then, every 3 months, one of the 12tb drives will be "retired", stored offsite, and replaced with a new one.
Do you think this solution makes sense?
Also, do you think additional online backup is neccesary?