Reformatting HDD 1 TB WD I/O error

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hey,

I have got WD 1 TB Internal Hdd on extra slot, below mentioned are the error it was previously throwing.

It was not recognize by windows so i updated the drives (worked)
Went to comp>disk manage> Initialized the disk to MBR or GPT >selected GPT > done (Worked)
Creating new volume with NTFS... (giving I/O error)

To resolve this is checked the cable, changed sata port on mobo. also went through wd data lifegaurd.

could you please guide me through this.

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

No problem on cables, what made you give conclusion about hard drive faulty?? , no issue on power issues.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Why Gpt on a 1TB drive, Gpt is used for a drive over the size of 3Tb, Ntfs and Gpt are layed down on a HD when formatted differently, they dont play well together. Pop the windows install disk in and format the drive to Ntfs standard with windows setup. then exit. The file system of the Hd is in conflict with the Os since the the existing file format is NTFS. Not a Gpt type partiton or drive format, thats why it cannot read the drive properly data layed down is set in a different way on a Gpt formatted drive.

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

MBR has limitation over 4 partitions so GPT, also GPT has better data integrity over redundancy and CRC32 fields,also GPT have protective MBR,
well now coverting to MBR gives same message. even during windows installation it gives same thing..

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I dont dispute what you are saying, the fact is Your trying to run two types of file structures layed down on the HD`s as I said Gpt does not put the data of the formatted drive in the same place as as Ntfs. so its looking for the data but cannot read it due to the conflict in the way the drive was formatted. Just out of intrest what is the Os drive set to Ntfs or Gpt format. aswell.

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
okies, so shall i just pop in the installation disk and run the setup for win 7, would it automatically convert the partition to MBR or i have to go to disk manage and then covert it manually?

during installation of win 7 i got this error error 0x8007045d (I/O error)

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Curious#1...
Try deleting the native OS drivers for the drive in question and then let the system re-install the drivers.

i.e.
Device Manager, Disk Drives, right-mouse click on the drive in question then uninstall, then perform Scan For Hardware Changes.

Curious #2...

You mentioned that you have the internal drive on extra slot, what is this extra slot? Is it Sata using the Intel Sata controller or a Marvell Controller as some boards offer?

Curious #3...

Have you installed this same drive into another system to test if it performs identically?

Thanks

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

1- not happening.. as the disk cannout mount i cannot deleted anything on it (I/O error on windos)
i guess will do it from linux data tool>> sorry if i misunderstood, the hdd is showing up in device manage until manage. intialize hdd shows this error

2 - huh? because of this hdd issue i used another laptop hdd and installed the win 7 on it and then was attaching this 1 TB hdd on another sata (tried with and without jumper on 5:6 channel). same system two hdd primary laptop hdd secondary 1TB >>

3 - nope. the story was i purchase 4 1TB hdd for my system (1 sys:1hdd) three are working fine the fouth showed the mess.

Regards

My standard system configuration:
Asus mobo depends
AMD fx 4100
Ram 6g
1TB hdd
cooler master 431 plus (compatable cooler)

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Let's try from a different angle. You have mentioned you purchased 4 1TB drives and the last one (this HDD) is giving you problems.
Can you disconnect all of the drives and connect the questionable HDD into the one of the sata ports that was working with one of the other working three drives?
Is it still an issue?

Or

Have you swapped out the drive for one of the other three to see if the I/O error still occurs?

It may be feasible to cut your losses and RMA the drive.

darktanget

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Sorry for super late reply, i was sorting out the RMA and i am getting new HDD but that would take upto 2 weeks.. absolutly pathetic days..

i am professional into IT recruitement offshores for UK and my one system is working on Laptop Hdd.. keeping my finger cross to get asap..

Thank you very much for your help guy much much appreciated..