Refresh causes micro stutter

johnny_soprano_s

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Whenever I use refresh (eg. right click) on Desktop it freezes for 0.5 to 1 second and then proceeds normally. I'm using Windows 10 x64 and my PC is HP Pavilion Gaming 15 bc0009nm.

Temperatures are fine, nothing is working in the background. I disabled all unecessary stuff to boot.

Strange thing is, the stutter does not occur in ''My Computer''. It occurs on desktop, my documents, my pictures, etc.

I have installed everything new (Windows Updates) prior to doing a new install of Windows on SSD. I've been previously using HDD as boot, decided to delete it and use the new bought SSD. I'm using Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe as my primary boot drive (total of 250 GB, has 130 GB free). Updated my BIOS so that my Evo runs at 3000/1600, doesn't seem to show any problem in perfomance. Healthy wise it seems in good shape (according to programs). It's connected to PCI-E 3x4

The other drive I'm using is HDD, but mainly for storage purposes.

Solution
OK. Here is a solution to right click:

PROBLEM SOLVED! Credits to this site

Go to regedit and remove those two entries:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCM

Restart and voila! You don't have a freeze on right click anymore.
GRAPHICS Driver problems
Download the latest drivers for your GPU place them on your desktop get Display Driver Uninstaller from here
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

johnny_soprano_s

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

Hey, thanks for responding, but I did reinstall my Intel HD 530 drivers and NVIDIA ones from official HP site and updated them properly. Sadly, it didn't change anything.

johnny_soprano_s

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018

Well my PC is actually an laptop, not sure what you mean by how it's connected?

When on desktop, HP pavilion 15 uses INTEL HD 530 integrated GPU. While gaming, it uses GTX 960M 4GB DDR5 GPU

EDIT: after meddling with settings, it seems that going to right click - Nvidia Control Panel - Adjust image settings with preview - set either to balance or perfomance does do the job. I'm not sure if it will last, but if it does, I'll mark it as solved.

EDIT2: It seems that the ''fix'' is only if I leave the Control panel of NVIDIA open. Right after I apply the settings, it goes back to the way it was.

I still don't get it tho. Desktop shouldn't be using GTX960M to have any effect on it, since Intel HD 530 should run only on desktop and web browsing. Why does GTX960M have any direct contact with desktop anyway, and more important, why do settings changed in 960M affect this issue?

johnny_soprano_s

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
OK. Here is a solution to right click:

PROBLEM SOLVED! Credits to this site

Go to regedit and remove those two entries:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCM

Restart and voila! You don't have a freeze on right click anymore.

Solution