Refresh Rate change damaging?

mullen1100

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
Hi. Wondering if you alter the refresh rate to above its limits if it will damage it. Im the admin ofcourse on win xp system and it says I can change my refresh rate up to 120 but can damage my monitor. I have a Ge force 2 mx 400. My moniter says EV700 on it. Got it from gateway in January 2000.This is what it says on the gateway website for my monitor "Scanning frequency Horizontal, 30 to 69 kHz; Vertical, 50 to 110 Hz" Anyone tell me which one my settings were talkinga bout. im assuming its verticle. also would making it 120 instead of 110 help? Im doing all of this so I can use a esta 3d revelator set of 3d glasses and software to full use. works at 120 to 140 but alright at 80'ish. Thanks!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Wont Damage it, but it wont work either.

Most modern monitors have a protection circuit that puts them in energy save mode if either of the sync signals are out of the monitors recommended range.

Your monitor at 69Khz is very low end for what you want to do. I recommend you get a monitor with a mush higher 121Khz horizontal scan frequency if you want to do 3D glasses.

Jim Witkowski
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

Algan

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
While it's true that wrong settings can damage a monitor, most recent monitors have some sort of built in protection. So if you try some wrong settings your screen will probably flicker a few times, go blank, and then windows will restore the previous settings.

The refresh rate is actually the vertical scan rate. However, your maximum attainable refresh rate depends on numerous factors, including resolution and horizontal scan rate. It goes like this: the higher the resolution, the lower the refresh rate will be. Also, the maximum refresh rate increases with the horizontal scan frequency. The numbers for vertical scan frequency in your manual are just absolute minimum and maximum values, you will never be able to reach 110 Hz with your monitor. The factor that limits you is the horizontal scan (69 Khz). If you run it at 1024x768, you will probably get somewhere around 75 Hz, maybe 80 Hz. If you go to 800x600, then maybe 85 Hz.

You can try increasing the refresh rate and see what happens. Do it in small steps, though.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Almost sounds like it's time to upgrade a monitor.

69hz isn't bad for an old 15" monitor. But for a 17", it's right next to terrible. Unless, of course, you only use the computer for 30 minutes a day, and that not all at one time.

Then it's not a bad monitor at all. But with 3d glasses, you're gonna want to upgrade a monitor. You can find considerably higher quality Trinitrons for about $200, and a very good quality 19" for about $250.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]