Question Refresh Rate drops in game. On what it depends?

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
Hello,

What I cannot understand why the refresh rate of my monitor drops in NFS UNBOUND to something around 100 or 110...
My display is LG 32GP850 which works on default with165Hz Refresh Rate. My card is RTX 3080.

The problem that the GAME doesnt steady support 165 Hz refresh rate as other games.

Also I assume that the decrease in Refresh Rates happens when I change the AUTO Settings in Graphics to Custom Settings.

How I can fix to solid 165HZ in NGS Unbound? Thanks!

Do you have G-Sync switched on? With G-Sync the monitor Hz will be the same as the FPS when the FPS drops under 165.

As long as it is the gpu limiting your FPS then you can reduce game settings to increase the FPS. If the cpu/RAM are the limiting factor then there is little you can do.

What is the actual problem with the Hz dropping under 165?

Just to be clear FPS and Hz are not the same thing.

Reactions: drivinfast247

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
Thanks, yes G Sync is enabled in LG display settings. I thought it should be enable For best performance. What is the benefit of g sync then? Turn it off?
Well,I don’t want to reduce the game settings)) I supposed that rtx3080 can run NFS unbound on Ultra settings easily
my concern that since I have bought 165hz display I was expected to run the games with 165hz refresh rate for best experience)))….. You suppose it doesn’t matter which refresh rate I have unless the game is runs smoothly?

Thanks, yes G Sync is enabled in LG display settings. I thought it should be enable For best performance. What is the benefit of g sync then? Turn it off?
Well,I don’t want to reduce the game settings)) I supposed that rtx3080 can run NFS unbound on Ultra settings easily
my concern that since I have bought 165hz display I was expected to run the games with 165hz refresh rate for best experience)))….. You suppose it doesn’t matter which refresh rate I have unless the game is runs smoothly?
If your PC can output a steady 165fps then you will utilize the 165hz refresh rate to its fullest. If you have G-sync/V-sync enabled it will only refresh when the GPU has a frame ready to display. If you disable G-sync and vsync it'll will run at the monitors refresh rate which may not be in sync with the GPUs FPS and will cause tearing/stuttering.

If you drop below 165fps that's because your PC as a whole can't process 165 fps. That's pretty much a normal thing to happen.

Swiftbasic1978

Prominent
Sep 18, 2021
It's not the same thing. Hz is the frequency at which your monitor can refresh. FPS is the framerate that your PC can output. Though you would need a 165hz monitor to take advantage of a PC capable of achieving 165fps.
Can I have an example? So it means if, lets say, I have an OLD monitor which runs max 60Hz and brand new 4080TI. And I run Tetris...Maximum FPS will be 60?

Can I have an example? So it means if, lets say, I have an OLD monitor which runs max 60Hz and brand new 4080TI. And I run Tetris...Maximum FPS will be 60?
Yes and no. Though the PC would be able to produce hundreds of frames-per-second, the display itself would only be able to update the images at 60hz. And without vsync you'd see tearing and possibly some stutters.

So to answer your original question about maintaining 165fps there are a few things to consider: can your PC actually do it and will the game engine allow it? Total max possible FPS relies on your CPU power. What CPU do you have? You can try lowering graphics until you hold a steady 165fps. If you can't achieve that either your CPU isn't powerful enough or the game engine itself is limiting.

Last edited: