Refresh Rates

ponti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
I have an aging NEC multisync 75 with a max refresh rate of 60Mhz (or so it tells me). I assume this means how many FPS it is actually capable of displaying. If this is true, does setting my refresh rates higher in-game actually have any real effect?
If there's no real difference, and my max visible FPS is 60 then I'd rather set my games to higher resolutions and better graphics than waste my processor/graphic card power.

Thanks all

Lando95

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003
If i were you, I would enable vsync. This will synchronize your vid cards fps, and you monitors refresh rate. This should provide you with the smoothest game play. When your vid card has a higher fps than the monitor's refresh rate, you will often get what is called tearing, that is, your video card is producing more fps than the monitor, and it causes a little tearing effect on the picture. Enable vsync, then crank up the details. I have found this this provides me with the best gameplay. Hope that is of some help.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Don't use a refresh rate higher than the monitor is rated, as it can wreck your monitor or reduce it's hours.

Select the check box that states "do not display refresh rates unsupported by this monitor".

But if you can aford a new monitor and are prepared to take a chance with the old one, give it a go.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>