[SOLVED] REFS file-system issue or a faulty hardware?

walidantar

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
i have an external usb3 hdd, i've formatted it into REFS - after some uses, i can't access it, it gives me two prompt dialogs one after the other, the first is the the drive needs format, the second says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system".

i have like a driver lost in the device manager (sm bus controller) i tried many methods but couldn't resolve .. the problem is new, as after i installed the windows10trial every thing was ok .. i tried update the drivers and made diagnostics but problem of the driver not solved

i tried the hardware troubleshoot and tried many usb ports and different cables , disconnected other hard-drives, but nothing worked

i just want to avoid formatting the external hdd before i can access it and take out some data

i tried CHKDSK i got these two line (the type of the file system is REFS. the REFS file system does not need to be checked)

a7GuoJj.jpg
crexPeF.jpg

walidantar

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
the cause was update KB5009543 , before a while i installed the update of drivers from window updates
it solved the issue of (sm bus controller)
the then installed the latest windows update KB5010793 , it resolved the issue of mounting the refs external hard drive

my problem is solved :)