Question Refurbished build using Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition only getting 800 mb out of CPU

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

I rebuilt a computer for work purposes and bought a used Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition CPU. I'm getting 804 MB out of the CPU instead of the 3.0 GB that it is supposed to be giving me. Initially I thought that there was something wrong with the CPU and bought a second one (they were only ~$20 so no big deal), but I'm having the same issue with the second one as well. I'm running the following hardware:

Biostar n68s3+ MOBO
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB RAM (4 x 2GB)
Corsair RM 750W Gold PSU
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU

The BIOS is up to date, but I can't install drivers for the rest of the MOBO as I'm running Windows 10 and the manufacturer's website only has Vista and XP downloads available. I did find another download at driverscape, but those installers failed as well. I also can't update my GPU as I can't upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 with the CPU only outputting 804MB. When I look at the device manager, all 4 cores are listed.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode? Meaning, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu), check the Run as Administrator box, before hitting on apply.

Something tells me it's your motherboard, considering you swapped processor to get the same result. On second thoughts, where did you source the installer for your OS?

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Have you tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode? Meaning, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility Tab>Windows x(from the drop down menu), check the Run as Administrator box, before hitting on apply.

Something tells me it's your motherboard, considering you swapped processor to get the same result. On second thoughts, where did you source the installer for your OS?
You make a good point about the MOBO being a potential issue. The OS I bought from Best Buy some number of years ago. It's a legitimate copy of Windows 10.

I will try installing the Drivers via the Device Manager. About to go to bed but I will report back after I have a chance to give it a go.

DOLZERO

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
So you didn't recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools to rule out a corrupt installer...?
No I did not.

Also I realized I put in the wrong CPU. This is actually a Phenom II X4 960T. idk why I thought it was a 965, which is a 125W CPU. My MOBO does not support a 125W CPU.