[SOLVED] Regarding 4K TV to be used as monitor for a visually impaired person

Jun 13, 2021
Hi guys.

I'd like to ask your opinion on a tough decision I have to make. I have a few visual impairments that are partially corrected with glasses/lenses, but I still struggle to read or to notice a few details while working or gaming, so I decided to get a new monitor to see if I can improve it.

What I have
  • I have an Acer Nitro 5, i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB, 512 GB SSD
  • I use two 8-year 22" LCD monitors that work perfectly - but the black isn't as black as it should and I have to constantly zoom in to be able to see better.
About my needs:
  • I want to replace one or both monitors
  • I sit 2-2.5 feet from the computer and I use it 6-10 hours/day - mostly reading PDFs 30 min then 30 min videos (university and work stuff).
  • I'm from Brazil (limited and EXPENSIVE options)
  • I want to use HDMI
Options I have considered so far:
  • 32" AOC Agon AG323FCXE (FHD, curved, VA, 1 ms, 165 Hz)
    • But I guessed I'd just be "zooming in" the same amount of stuff I have on my screen.
  • 34" LG 34WK650-W (FHD, Ultrawide, IPS, 1ms, 75 Hz).
    • But since I already own two 22" monitors, I imagine the extra horizontal space might not represent much of an improvement (never had one)
  • 43" LG 43UP7500 television (4K, IPS, 4:4:4, can only find its input lag described as"low", 60 Hz)
    • I read that using it as a monitor could result in dead pixels / ghosting / damage to the device, for not changing the image often (eg: while reading PDFs, using Word, etc.)
    • I intend to use split-screen to simulate multiple monitors and replace both 22" I currently use
    • This option seemed amazing because I"d get the biggest screen for the money spent. But the idea of damaging it after several hours of use made me worried.
I'd really appreciate some advice on this matter since money is an issue for me. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
There's nothing fundamentally different about the panels used for TVs and Displays. If anything, I'd say most high-end TVs make better PC displays then most PC displays nowadays.

The only edge case would be the case of OLEDs, where pixel wear over time is absolutely a thing (to a degree). Outside of that, there won't be any issue (beyond some additional configuration of the TV to let it know it's connected to a PC) using a TV as a PC display.

Before going that route, one thing you can attempt is to raise the Windows DPI settings, which will make most things appear larger. On my 55" TV (running normally at 1440p) I have Windows set to 125% DPI for this very reason.

USAFRet

Titan
I'd like to ask your opinion on a tough decision I have to make. I have a few visual impairments that are partially corrected with glasses/lenses, but I still struggle to read or to notice a few details while working or gaming, so I decided to get a new monitor to see if I can improve it.
I'm pretty sure no one out here can recommend something that works for YOU.

I hesitate to recommend monitors for people with perfect vision.
Everyones eyesight and perceptions are a bit different.

Having known issues....you really need to eyeball some actual screens.
I know that can be tough, but no one else on the planet sees what you see.

Jun 13, 2021
I'm pretty sure no one out here can recommend something that works for YOU.

I hesitate to recommend monitors for people with perfect vision.
Everyones eyesight and perceptions are a bit different.

Having known issues....you really need to eyeball some actual screens.
I know that can be tough, but no one else on the planet sees what you see.

Hi, thanks for your reply! I know, mate :-( But perhaps you have some opinion on that matter about the risk of damaging a TV for using it as a monitor (ghosting/dead pixels). I'm not sure if it's a myth and the risk is the same as on regular monitors or, indeed, much higher. Also, maybe you or someone have some additional detail I might be missing. Never used a computer as a single and main monitor before (only for a few hours). Any help will be tremendously appreciated.

I'd have bought this TV if it weren't for so many people talking about the risk of damaging it. My main issues are regarding the risk of losing money or having to spend again soon - my current monitors are 8 years old, hopefully, I'd get something that would be able to last more than just a couple of years.

Last edited:
There's nothing fundamentally different about the panels used for TVs and Displays. If anything, I'd say most high-end TVs make better PC displays then most PC displays nowadays.

The only edge case would be the case of OLEDs, where pixel wear over time is absolutely a thing (to a degree). Outside of that, there won't be any issue (beyond some additional configuration of the TV to let it know it's connected to a PC) using a TV as a PC display.

Before going that route, one thing you can attempt is to raise the Windows DPI settings, which will make most things appear larger. On my 55" TV (running normally at 1440p) I have Windows set to 125% DPI for this very reason.

Solution