[SOLVED] regarding gen 4 SSDs

Dec 26, 2020
was planning to get a new rig next year and plan to get gen 4 ssd as main drive.

XPG GAMMIX S70: 7,400MB/sec, 6,400MB/sec
Samsung 980 Pro: 7,000MB/sec, 5,000MB/sec
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus: 7,000MB/sec, 6,850MB/sec
WD SN850: 7,000MB/sec, 5,300MB/sec

the above listed is the top 4 best gen 4 ssds available now even though sabrent brand is not available locally in my country. any opinions or comments in which one would be best to recommend? i am mainly playing games and also doing some work programs like autocad for my work purposes.

i think of the 4 ssd mention above, samsung seems to have the branding advantage and this XPG, Samsung and WD have 5 years warranty. not too sure about sabrent brand as i mention its not available locally in my country.

unable to find any reviews on the XPG Gammix S70 although it seems to release same time as the SN850 and samsung 980.. is it really same or better than samsung and WD?

Solution
XPG - it was announced at same time as the Samsung, it seems that people are only starting to get them now and as you say, there are no reviews of them yet. It is made by Adata who have been making storage for a long time.

Are all those drives the same size?

the 6400 write speed on the XPG is on the 2tb model, the 1tb is 5500 as per this - https://www.adata.com/upload/downloadfile/XPG_GAMMIX S70_datasheet_20201208.pdf

There isn't a 2tb model for the Samsung and I expect if there was, its write speed go up as well.
Sabrent Rocket could be 1tb or 2tb, i can't tell.
WD have both sizes. I didn't check scores.

Colif

Win 11 Master
XPG - it was announced at same time as the Samsung, it seems that people are only starting to get them now and as you say, there are no reviews of them yet. It is made by Adata who have been making storage for a long time.

the 6400 write speed on the XPG is on the 2tb model, the 1tb is 5500 as per this - https://www.adata.com/upload/downloadfile/XPG_GAMMIX S70_datasheet_20201208.pdf

There isn't a 2tb model for the Samsung and I expect if there was, its write speed go up as well.

Solution
From what I know, the samsung is "the best"
Samsung is also known for very good costumer service, warrenty support, good migration software and also the BEST longevity.

But, as for performance, those numbers you listed mean nothing.
Tell me, when have you ever downloaded a file at 60 gigabit? (7000 megabyte per second)
Unless you have 40+ gigabit home networking, this sequential number means absolutely nothing.

What you want to look at for "real life" performance is IOPS at 512bytes, which is usually not displayed on the spec sheet.
But even those, after a point don't mean anything.
If you want the best SSD that will last the longest, get the samsung. If you want the fastest one, it literally doesn't matter.

Dec 26, 2020

thanks for the highlight, i thought the 1tb is write speed at 6400 as well. physical size should be the same..

Dec 26, 2020
From what I know, the samsung is "the best"
Samsung is also known for very good costumer service, warrenty support, good migration software and also the BEST longevity.

But, as for performance, those numbers you listed mean nothing.
Tell me, when have you ever downloaded a file at 60 gigabit? (7000 megabyte per second)
Unless you have 40+ gigabit home networking, this sequential number means absolutely nothing.

What you want to look at for "real life" performance is IOPS at 512bytes, which is usually not displayed on the spec sheet.
But even those, after a point don't mean anything.
If you want the best SSD that will last the longest, get the samsung. If you want the fastest one, it literally doesn't matter.

thanks. i agree that samsung seems the most durable.. my current rig is still using sata samsung ssd bought in 2016. but just checking on this because in my country, the WD SN850 and adata s70 is same price for 1tb but samsung brand 1tb is more expensive for around 35 usd.. so not sure if its worth paying slightly more on branding alone. just checking if anyone has/ is using the adata brand s70.

WD brand seems good too based on the review i seen online.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Speed of writes influenced by the amount of cache on the drive itself. The drive being PCIE4 doesn't increase the speed it takes to write onto the flash itself. The more ram the drive has to act as cache, the faster it can write it.

Given I also have a Samsung NVME, I try to not let that blind me to other choices. Some of them only recently announced, the WD will have a version with heatsink pre installed next month. Optane still makes NVME look slow.

But you can't really tell difference between sata ssd and PCIE nvme in most scenarios if everything else is the same. 7000 sounds good but what does it mean in daily operation? PC boots in 3.1 seconds instead of 3.2? I am only running at 3500 and booting into windows in about 5 seconds now but I remember taking 2 minutes to start on hdd so I don't see rush to go faster than that.

I have had instant start computer... 40 years ago almost. It didn't have a hdd back then, it didn't have any storage apart from ram. Loading programs off a cassette is where it was at though, so while base computer was fast, storage has taken 40 years to get there. Admittedly the graphics, sound, and everything else we have now is way better than my Tandy Color was.

Last edited:
thanks. i agree that samsung seems the most durable.. my current rig is still using sata samsung ssd bought in 2016. but just checking on this because in my country, the WD SN850 and adata s70 is same price for 1tb but samsung brand 1tb is more expensive for around 35 usd.. so not sure if its worth paying slightly more on branding alone. just checking if anyone has/ is using the adata brand s70.

WD brand seems good too based on the review i seen online.
To be honest, even sata is enough, but if you want an upgrade anyway, I would suggest the samsung.
I have built around 10-15 pcs to family, friends and clients, and most have samsung, and the only ssd to fail was an ADATA one. an SU630, yes, it's sata, but still.
Non of the crucial, samsung or similar have died.

Reactions: transparos
Dec 26, 2020
Speed of writes influenced by the amount of cache on the drive itself. The drive being PCIE4 doesn't increase the speed it takes to write onto the flash itself. The more ram the drive has to act as cache, the faster it can write it.

Given I also have a Samsung NVME, I try to not let that blind me to other choices. Some of them only recently announced, the WD will have a version with heatsink pre installed next month. Optane still makes NVME look slow.

But you can't really tell difference between sata ssd and PCIE nvme in most scenarios if everything else is the same. 7000 sounds good but what does it mean in daily operation? PC boots in 3.1 seconds instead of 3.2? I am only running at 3500 and booting into windows in about 5 seconds now but I remember taking 2 minutes to start on hdd so I don't see rush to go faster than that.

I have had instant start computer... 40 years ago almost. It didn't have a hdd back then, it didn't have any storage apart from ram. Loading programs off a cassette is where it was at though, so while base computer was fast, storage has taken 40 years to get there. Admittedly the graphics, sound, and everything else we have now is way better than my Tandy Color was.

i see... but since i am getting a new rig next year when the new CPU and GPU is in stock, i am not reusing any old parts of my current rig as it is from 2016.. so i think it would make sense to upgrade from my current sata ssd to a gen 4 ssd even though the difference in loading the bootup is negligible.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know what I said but its different if you getting a new PC. You might as well get the best you can afford as the entire PC is new and should be faster than what you had before. If you were only jumping from 3500 to 7000, you wouldn't notice a difference but I think jump from 600mbps to 7000 would be noticeable. If I was upgrading now I would consider it. Just don't expect to gain as much again next time unless speeds get stupidly fast.

One thing I noticed between a sata ssd on old PC and going to PCIe gen 3 on the new one (which is only half the max speed of gen 4) is boot times are way faster. But would I have noticed the difference if the only thing that had changed was the drives? Am I seeing the speed boost from the nvme alone or fact i have 6 cores now or 32gb ram?

My last PC couldn't run gen 3 nvme at full speed so I probably wouldn't have noticed a jump as much. But new PC can take full advantage of it

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020
unable to find any reviews on the XPG Gammix S70 although it seems to release same time as the SN850 and samsung 980.. is it really same or better than samsung and WD?

I would wait in your case. The data on the ADATA GAMMIX S70 look unreal. If true and well implemented, it actually outclasses the Samsung by far. Points of interest:
  • The Gammix S70 is listed as MLC cells, while the Samsung is TLC. Meaning the S70 should have a lower latency, overall faster read, faster write and a higher durability.
  • The Gammix S70 is running with a renoir controller, which may need tweaking since its quite new. So we need tests (ideally on v1.1 of the Gammix) on test and real life performance.
  • There was confusion on the exact speed of the Gammix S70 and confusion with the announced Sage controller. Needs to be verified aka a test is needed.
  • Afaik ADATA did downgrade SSD controllers in the past, so we gotta look at this too.
  • Pricing of ADATA coupled with performance data looks unreal atm OR Adata seriously did a quantum leap. So its either "beware, don't ever touch it" or "MUST HAVE!"
  • Apart from that delivery of the 2TB version was apparently stopped and returned. So it seems something is going on, where we dont have any news about.
All that together means: GAMMIX S70 is a quantum leap or a POS. Wait for the first real tests and lets see.

Dec 29, 2020
While at it, here also one performance test result:
https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2020/09/21045443897l.jpg

21045443897l.jpg

Dec 26, 2020
yea.. waiting for the independent test before drawing a conclusion. but seems weird and funny how the S70 release date is near WD SN850 and samsung pro 980 , yet no reviews on S70 till now.

Dec 29, 2020
yea.. waiting for the independent test before drawing a conclusion. but seems weird and funny how the S70 release date is near WD SN850 and samsung pro 980 , yet no reviews on S70 till now.

I actually followed ADATA even before the Sage was announced. Mid-December delivery of the Gammix S70 in 1TB and 2TB started. Now I see companies in pricing competition to get em sold. This is kinda weird...

TRENDING THREADS